PS1/2 freemcboot wont recognise 500gb external hard drive?

Jimmay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hey guys and girls hoping someone can point me in the right direction here :D
so i have a 2tb external hard drive which i wanted to put games on (ripped retail discs not pirate copies)
when it wouldn't show i assumed that it was just because of the fact it was 2 terabytes
so i went out and bought myself a 500GB external hard drive
this one to be exact:
http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en...-hard-drive-500gb-caribbean-blue-53026/?con=2
but after formatting and popping games on it it didn't show up in open ps2 loader
i thought maybe it was something i was doing wrong so i checked in ulaunch elf and under mass
it didn't show up there either it was just empty

the drive however is fine in my pc it just seems that the ps2 doesn't like it for some reason

im blowing my brains out trying to figure this out i cant work out why it wont show up but yet my sandisk cruzer blade 6gb usb does

any help would be greatly appreciated

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been a while since I've done anything PS2-related, but the USB drivers are VERY hit-or-miss. I have three otherwise-identical Kingston DataTravelers, two being from the same batch, but only one of them actually worked with the PS2 in any capacity. I couldn't get either external HDD or a handful of other flash sticks to work.

In short, "the ps2 doesn't like it for some reason" is going to be the case with a lot of drives, although it'd be a good idea to make sure the formatting, etc. is done in a way that a PS2 loader can handle.

EDIT: Also note that the PS2 doesn't support USB 2.0, much less 3.0; while most devices are backwards-compatible with USB 1.0/1.1 hosts, it's not a requirement. Eiher way I'm guessing it decreases the odds of PS2 compatibility.

Last edited by FireEmblemGuy,

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I think FireEmblemGuy probably hit the money with USB Mass Storage support being a bit hit/miss with the PS2, but have you tried using a USB y-cable with it?

Jimmay123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think FireEmblemGuy probably hit the money with USB Mass Storage support being a bit hit/miss with the PS2, but have you tried using a USB y-cable with it?
I havent tried that yet
after it didnt show i gave my dad some money to grab me the 64GB version of my usb thumb drive that shows up
figured the 8gb does so the 64 should too till i read that now im unsure

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps