Free JPG to PDF program? (batch conversion)

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by basher11, Mar 23, 2014.

1. basher11
    OP

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    So I have JPG files from a manga that I need to batch convert to PDF.
    I have Nitro Pro 8 (trial) but I'm looking for a program that does it for free without requiring a license and shoving watermarks all over the finished PDF.

I have found a online site that does this (http://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/), but I would prefer an offline alternative.

thanks!

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Imagemagick is a command line program that does exactly what you want. It takes some time to figure out, but can either stitch an entire folder of JPGs together into a single PDF or create a single PDF for each one of them - or basically anything you can make it do with BAT files. It may take quite a bit of RAM if you're going to convert a massive amount in one go though. Alternatively, you can install one of those "PDF printer" programs that adds a PDF option to the Windows printers and print the entire folder of images in one go using that to turn it into a PDF file. In my experience this is faster with a really crappy PC, but Imagemagick is far more powerful.

3. basher11
    OP

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    Just took a look at Imagemagick, and if I do use it, I'm going to need to study it a bit. Just in case, do you have any examples of those "PDF printer" programs?

4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
  5. basher11
    OP

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    Tried that, wasn't too happy with the quality of the pdf. I think I'll keep looking or just end up researching imagemagick. thanks for the suggestions.

6. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
  7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm pretty sure that if you have imagemagick installed, you can just go to the folder containing the files in a command prompt (or write a .bat file and put that in the folder) and do
    Code:
    convert *.jpg images.pdf
    You may want to use "-compress zip" with that to keep filesizes down (this does not mean it will zip the file, it's some PDF internal thing) - I'm not really an Imagemagick guru myself.

Edit: http://code.google.com/p/sam2p/ This might do a better job and should produce MUCH smaller files, but I'm not sure whether this can convert multiple pages into one PDF in one go.

8. basher11
    OP

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    i actually prefer pdfs for some strange reason.

i'll give it a go later. thanks.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd rar them up and rename the extension to cbr.
    Then open them in CDisplay EX.

But that's me ;p

10. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Embedding image into PDF would mean the image has to be re-encoded. This means there is going to be a quality loss, especially if you are dealing with lossy source (JPG) to being with.

You have to pick your poison, either single file with further decreased visual quality (unless it is cbr previously mentioned), or separate files.

11. basher11
    OP

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    i suppose so. Looks like I'm going to use cbr then.

12. cathyhill345

cathyhill345 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 15, 2013
    Are you trying to convert multiple jpg into one pdf file or convert mutiple jpg files into separate pdf file?

13. basher11
    OP

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    multiple jpg to one pdf.