Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are there still many of these left? I think juno does one for (10 hrs a month,which sucks but its free) but I was curious if there are any similar ones out there,no i'm not asking for myself but for someone else that has to close there internet down for alittle while...

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netzero is also free 10hr a month, both seem similiar, probably same company, but when I used it back like 8ish years ago, both worked and both would give 10hr each.

Now a days they do have free dialup, I know my friend used to use it before he got a wifi card/ethernet in his room. it was some standard dialup connection with a phone number that logs in using standard windows xp dial-up connection... when i type in free dialup some sites pop up and seems like what im talking about.

http://www.freedialup.org/site/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have not seen a free one since dialup times although even then it was advert supported (and trying to get a line let alone a good one was horrific).

There are other ways though and options towards distance transfer of internet services (microwaves and things like it- can also double as a nice internal network) and there are options for short term contract and things like that. I am not quite as good on US ISPs as I might be (let alone down to the state/county/city levels you guys often play at).

funkymonster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AOL CDs?

Cause dial-up is about the only thing you'd be able to get for free. The most basic broadband will cost you at least $14 monthly through AT&T.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See if your friend can steal someone's wireless near his home. That's probably the easiest way to get free internet.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
superrob said:
Free ISP's? Never heard of free ISP's excisting.. o.o
around year 1998/2000, France had a free dialup ISP, with unlimited connection time. (though, you had to pay the connected time to your phone provider, which the minute of communication was very expansive)
Well, this free service does still exists, but who is still using dialup ?

Many French users registered accounts (I still have 2 of them), only to have access to the created "100MB" free ftp storage space for their personal webpage along with the registration, and you could create as many 100MB ftp as you wanted.

Then came the ADSL (up to 512kb, at first), they started to provide ADSL modem/router for 30€ fee per month for unlimited acces. while other ISP only provided limited connection time (usually 30H or 100H) on dialup or more expansive unlimited adsl access per month.
with the money, they could provide more awesomeness, and users could expand to 1GB their webpage space for free.
Then ADSL became even faster (now 24Mb, and optical fiber up to 100Mb up/50Mb Down), so they could add TV and phone by adsl, for always the same monthly fee.

The actual router (which still and always cost 30€/per month) can now provide HDTV, free phone communication all over the world, HDD TV recorder with possibility to set record time from your account on the net, media player, and maybe few things I forgot.

For a company which started with completely free internet access (and free of ads too while surfing the net!), they became quite famous (I think they are the 2nd internet providers in France).
Users from other ISP can still register free personal webpage space, up to 10Gb.

The name of the company ? free !
PS: no, I'm not paid to promote them, and I'm using another ISP.
It will not help your friend, it was just to let people know that free ISP really existed. I don't know if there's free ADSL ISP now, is there ?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
wtfisausername said:
Netzero is also free 10hr a month, both seem similiar, probably same company, but when I used it back like 8ish years ago, both worked and both would give 10hr each.

Now a days they do have free dialup, I know my friend used to use it before he got a wifi card/ethernet in his room. it was some standard dialup connection with a phone number that logs in using standard windows xp dial-up connection... when i type in free dialup some sites pop up and seems like what im talking about.

http://www.freedialup.org/site/

IIRC Juno and Netzero is owned my the same people?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
IIRC Juno and Netzero is owned my the same people?
I never looked it up but I assumed so when I used them way back, their webpages, programs and everything were very similiar, exact clones except for name and logo. That is if i recall correctly

QUOTE(Cyan @ Sep 9 2010, 05:59 PM) around year 1998/2000, France had a free dialup ISP, with unlimited connection time. (though, you had to pay the connected time to your phone provider, which the minute of communication was very expansive)
Well, this free service does still exists, but who is still using dialup ?

Even with regular paid dialup it cost money to call iirc. But here in the US, they had the unlimited local plan. And these free dialup service does still exist, here in usa at least.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
See if your friend can steal someone's wireless near his home. That's probably the easiest way to get free internet.

well its a woman not a guy lol,sadly I just found out she doesn't have a land line so none of free ones matter now oh well,thanks for the help everyone....

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Infinite Zero said:
Raiser said:
What Rayder said. ^

Ugh, I don't know how anyone can survive on dial-up these days.
Internet was not as advanced and helpful like before. You could only do a few tasks on the internet so probably dial-up wasn't that bad.
Oh, of course. I meant as a current setup.

I mean, phone calls coming in and out, people downloading stuff, streaming vids of YouTube. Dial-up? >.

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
FAST6191 said:
I have not seen a free one since dialup times although even then it was advert supported (and trying to get a line let alone a good one was horrific).

There are other ways though and options towards distance transfer of internet services (microwaves and things like it- can also double as a nice internal network) and there are options for short term contract and things like that. I am not quite as good on US ISPs as I might be (let alone down to the state/county/city levels you guys often play at).
WiMax is considered possible? well, it doesn't matter, either way, WiMax capable devices are NOT cheap, WiMax also might cause panic ("WE ARE DOOMED, MORE THEN CELLPHONES ANTENAS!") on society, something that no state\country wants to have

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool