Found the best switch case available

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by StonedPurple, Jul 27, 2017.

1. StonedPurple
    OP

StonedPurple GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    Maximilious, Xzi and leonmagnus99 like this.
  2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That looks sick! Might pick one up myself

3. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Never understood cases like that. Not even for a phone. My phone cases always have a cover that flips over the screen, and my console cases are actually a case. My Switch case has a zipper and a pouch for holding games, and some kind of flap inside the top that I use to hold my amiibo stickers ^_^

EDIT: Kind of like #7 here: https://www.pcmag.com/feature/352445/the-best-nintendo-switch-cases/7

Last edited by urherenow, Jul 28, 2017
    pandavova likes this.
  4. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Went would you need a front flap on a phone case? I've never had any issues when using a decent case and screen protector. Plus the flap would get annoying imo

5. urherenow

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    I ask the very opposite, every time someone pays me to replace their screen. And business is good :rolleyes:

6. StonedPurple
    OP

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    I also would get annoyed by a flap on the case. I do wish it covered the front more but I can see why they didn't. The case feels really nice on my switch and it still fits into my Zelda carrying case I have for the switch. The only reason I wanted a case like this is that out of the Zelda carry case it felt unprotected. If I drop it while it's in the carry case it would be fine but out of the case and it might get messed up. I like the case a lot and am certain if I dropped it with it on, it would be protected. It's worth the $20 imo.

Maximilious likes this.
  7. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    In my experience and with my basic understanding of physics and materials, most broken screens are caused by the shock from impact, not because the screen wasn't covered. The best type of case to reduce screen breakage is a hybrid silicone hard case. If you have what I've seen a majority of what case you describe, you are actually more likely to break your screen because it can't absorb shock from a drop as well.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If only it came with screen protector. :yayswitch:

9. aut0mat3d

aut0mat3d GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2017
    Australia
    As the Switch do have a plastic glass this would not be the case - right?
    I believe, putting a foil or tempered glass protector would be fair enough to prevent from scratches - two orzly tempered glass protectors cost about €5 which is quite cheap. Hating nothing more than having scratches on a Screen ;)

10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    was going to get this than i realized they have the scratch resistant panel on backwards? it's supposed to be on the front covering the screen you know like the otterbox does. what's the point of this you won't be able to use the switch with this on? :blink:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jul 28, 2017
  11. StonedPurple
    OP

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    It's not completely clear, it's more frosted glass looking. I believe it's just so you can see the Nintendo switch logo on the back. It's like how on iphone otterboxes it has the clear part over the apple logo so you can see it. I agree though it would be less confusing if they hadn't put it there at all.
    Edit: I see what you're saying. It goes on the other way. You put it on the back of your switch to protect against drops when you're playing in handheld mode.

Last edited by StonedPurple, Jul 28, 2017
  12. Bernhard

Bernhard BorderPsycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    StonedPurple likes this.
  13. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You are confused. The panel is there to see the switch logo on the back (similar to iPhone cases that have cutouts for the Apple logo) and its scratch resistant because clear plastic shows scratches easily. It doesn't advertise screen protection anywhere, and any sane person would have already purchased a separate screen protector anyway.

14. urherenow

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    I'm a sailor. I drink a LOT. I drop my phone a LOT. My choice of cases+screen protector are still keeping me at ZERO broken screens. I always replace screens for people who use those half-shell cases :glare: (or no case at all, with or without a protector)

15. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    now that looks freakin neat.

i want one, thanks for posting it.
    i have it bookmarked now and will get it when i have the buck!!

i am mostly playing handheld and this is ideal.
    i currently am using a cheap chinese rubber case (for joy cons only, it does not cover the back of the swich, only covers the joy cons has some raised bulge to provide better grip) the chinese one is good but makes holding my switch heavy,

but the one on amazon looks like superb quality, hopefully is lighter than it looks, and it seems like they have a slim version, might as well get that instead.
    need one.

Last edited by leonmagnus99, Jul 28, 2017
  16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    they're ALL SHIT i'm not sticking anything on my damned switch screen. and when they fuck up later and they WILL they will fuck your screen pulling them off :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jul 28, 2017
  17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The half cases with a lip around the screen are the best IMO. They protect against most drops without sacrificing functionality.
    It makes the dock unusable? No thanks.
    This might be the best Switch case: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/switchcase-case-with-replaceable-grips-for-nintend

18. StonedPurple
    OP

Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    This one is very light weight as well. I would say it doesn't even weigh half a pound. It definitely doesn't make the switch heavy. I switched from joycon grips to this case and am super happy with the case.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That case is pretty cool but with how things it is, I'd be worried about it protecting the switch. Also, I said best case available. That case isn't available yet.

19. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    do you mean the hybrid one is light ?
    i hope so, could you please tell me how it feels in the hand, to the touch.

is it smooth or is it slippery , and most importantly is it Matt finish or not..?

i loathe fingerprints/oily smudges etc..

20. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 Ace Bricker

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    Outside your windows ᕙ(◔ᗜ◔)ᕗ