Gaming Found old computer In attic

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could probably run some emulators. Windows ME was a terrible OS. You might want to load on Ubuntu or some version of Linux and use it for email (not web browsing) and NES emulation.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Throw Linux Mint on that sucker, LXDE or XFCE edition.

Keep it lightweight, heck if you're up to it look up and research how to configure Openbox and install it for a beastly lightweight interface.

I use Openbox even though I run an intel Core2Duo at 2.16 GHz, ramped up with 4GB of ram, 18 GB of Temporary space (/tmp), and 8 freaking Gigs of swap.

Lays waste to everything else.

Oh and if you go the Linux route, Unity Desktop Environment in Ubuntu blows total ***, don't use it... just dont.

Also, always separate / (root) and /home onto different partitions if you can. Google and read up on this, and why I can't stress it enough.

Oh and Linux has lots of Emulators....lots of them.

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put Ubuntu on one of my old PCs from 1999 and it runs pretty well.
I even managed to get Half Life 1 running on it. I never tried hosting servers, but I'm sure it'd do fun for a low-key game.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
A celeron PC can still play older games. How well it plays depends on the graphics. Go to run and type in DXDIAG to find out some technical details of your PC like how fast it is and how much RAM it has. If you're too lazy, download speccy.

Windows ME was one of the top 100 failures of all time. Vista ranked even higher in that list. Personally, I've never had a single problem with either, so I never saw what all the fuss was about. I guess computers just love me.

Holified 2x

OP
Trophies
Website
tezzytuffstufffind.squarespace.com
XP
Country
United States
It has 64 mb of RAM (Sucks) only emulator i got to run on it was visual boy and it has direct draw version 4.0 on it .No cash freezes on it and project 64 say its missing some graphic things i forgot i tried putting some application on it to tweak it and clean it but always say it expect a newer version of windows ?

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I2aven's_Sage said:
Emulators/Linxus & (Nimbus+1) This would be a good bet.

Linux has all this in terms of emulators

Zsnes (snes)
Dgen (genesis)
Kega Fusion (sega consoles)
Gcfeux (nes)
Gnuboy (gameboy/gameboy color/super gameboy)
VirtualBoyAdvance (gba)
No$GBA (GBA+DS)
DeSuMe (DS)
Discos (Old Doss Games)
Dolphin Emu ( need more than 64 mb ram)
Mupen64 (need more than 64mb of ram)

And much more!

If you have 64mb of ram, try to use LXDE as your desktop environment (it uses openbox as it's window manager), or learn to configure openbox for some smexy lightweight goodness.

Don't bother with gnome, kde, xfce, compiz fusion, gnome-shell, or anything that involves mass amounts of eye candy, or compositing. With 64mb of RAM you're gonna be pressed for resources anyway, no need to pointlessly tax your system anymore than it needs to be.

Speaking of which. Run memtest86+ or the ram testing tool from a distro's live cd. I'd be sceptikal of how good of a condition the RAM is in with the laptop being that old. RAM doesnt last forever ya know, and it might appear to work fine, but memtest86 will sniff out even the most minute of problems. If the ram is going bad, replace and upgrade it (if it can handle 512 or more great, anything less just max it out)

Oh best part is that it's obviously free. You may have to enable the "non-free" repos, but they are still free I'm terms of not costing anything "non-free" just means the source code isn't open or libre, or in other words it's proprietary.

LXDE based distros

- (btw, oneric ocelot gets rid of Synaptic, use 11.04. If you use Oneric, you can reinstall synaptic from the software center if you desire more control when installing packages)

-Linux Mint LXDE Edition ( friendlier since it will install some of the non-free stuff for you when you install)

-Peppermint (I've used this one before It's sweet and refreshing in appearance and lightweightness, and just as user friendly as mint for the most part)

You really would be better off turning that sucker into a Linux Box. Any Mac or Winderz OS will be too bloated to run efficiently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night