Gaming Formatting to extract iso

garyla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have recently downloaded medal of honor heroes 2 (NTSC), i attempted to extract it, but then error appears saying i have insufficient space, and that nly NTFS can store above 4GB. I have checked google and to solve the problem, I have to format my C drive.

Would formatting it delete 'everything' off my C drive? or will it (as i researched) just delete my program files?

PLease help me, since i want to play this asap.

Thanks in advance

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
By formatting your HDD you erase EVERYTHING from the Drive, so before doing this be sure to back up everything you need and then go for it, it isn't to difficult but if you haven't done this before, you should get some help.
(and remember that you have to reinstall your operating system as well..)

garyla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So apparently, by converting via repartition, i can change the format without it deleting anything?

Just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks previously.

Thanks in advance

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's been a LOOOOONG time since i've done this (10 years maybe, back in the NT4 days) but here are the steps:

1) Backup any REALLY IMPORTANT data. I can't stress this enough. If something does go wrong, you don't want to lose your documents/photo/etc.. that are not replaceable (but you already have backups of those...right?
tongue.gif
)

2) Close any open applications

3) Open the command prompt (Run: cmd.exe)

4) type at the prompt: convert c: /FS:NTFS

5) Because this is your system partition, it will tell you it can't do it now and needs to do it on reboot. Say Yes. It should return you back to the prompt.

6) Make absolutely sure you have the very important stuff backed up.

7) Reboot your PC. I've no idea how long this will take, but the bigger the drive, the longer it will be.

Once it has done its stuff, you should be back at Windows login. Everything should work as before, and you'll now be able to extract your file.

garyla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have my drive seperated into two, and so can i store my important stuff on my D drive, whilst I repartition my C drive?

Thanks.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well you can convert your D: if that is more convenient, you probably won't even need to reboot windows.

Just should mention, if you are dual booting an older windows (win98/ME), the boot partition, and the partition it is on are required to be FAT. If you don't have Win9x as well, just ignore this
tongue.gif

If you just have XP, there isn't really any need to use FAT anymore. Try converting which ever one you are more comfortable with (nothing should go wrong, but power outages do occur), if you are are happy you can convert the other too. This means you will never have this issue on either drive.

pimpyT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

garyla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When i do what lukeage has told me via:
convert c: /FS:NTFS

This message pops up.

The type of the file system is FAT32.
Enter current volume label for drive C:

What to do?

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is asking for the volume label as a confirmation you have the correct drive.

If you are unsure of the label, type dir (at the prompt, not as the label). The first line will show something like:
Volume in drive C has no label.
or
Volume in drive E is Temp

In the case of my C:, you just press enter. In the case of my E:, you type Temp.

garyla

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks

The repartition was successful, I never lost any data, and now the drive is NTFS.

Thanks again, I am grateful for everyon e that has helped me. Hope now, my extraction will be sccessful.

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night