Formatting Emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bartbass, Mar 25, 2015.

1. bartbass
    OP

bartbass Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2015
    Senegal
    Hi guys, I've been trying to find the answer for the past day since my gateway arrived and the whole 9.6 fiasco.

I realized that if I were to do the usual method, the emunand will be updated to 9.6. The question is it possible to set up emunand 9.0-9.5? If so, how? I am on firmware 4.5U and have not done anything emunand related. I would appreciate the help.

2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Format emunand like the manual instructs, just don't updated it online. The easiest way to update it is through a retail cart. 3ds.essh.co lists all the carts and the firmware it contains. See what you have or can borrow.

3. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    I think you can update using a ROM by holding UP while booting GW mode. Codename Steam has 9.4 (for US consoles, not sure about any other)

4. artlan

artlan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2008
    United States
    You would need to create the new EmuNAND from your current system then use a untrimmed Rom to update to 9.0-9.2. I don't have the link here but I believe it was mentioned in the ongoing 9.6 update thread what games had the updates you could use. There was also steps for upgrading via cia

5. bartbass
    OP

bartbass Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2015
    Senegal
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll get right on it.

6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Come on guys, you are suggesting risky advanced methods to a new owner.

OP, there are lots of ways to skin this cat, a retail cart is the safest and easiest. If you choose one of the alternate methods do your research and understand the risks. Unless you dump the rom yourself you can't be certain it is untrimmed.

7. bartbass
    OP

bartbass Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2015
    Senegal
    Would an untrimmed rom mean certain doom? Or a way to check if a rom is untrimmed like a checksum maybe?

8. jrebey

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States

Sure you can, it won't prompt you to update.