elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
WiiBlaster said:
I dont know about the tickets i do believe they get removed from Formatting and Installing a VC GAME to the sd card, then formatting yes your right you can't copy them back to the wii, But you can still download them from the Wii Shop, for free
This is not a guess its a Fact

Both are facts, and both are explained. The games that you downloaded through the shop channel are stored in an "shop account"

QUOTE(noobwarrior7 @ Feb 28 2009, 12:30 AM) uranuskiller

I've said it before on here so I will clear this up, and you can check wiibrew, they mention exactly everything that format function does...two things it does do?:

-deletes all "installed" tickets (downloaded/wad stuff)
-CREATES an index of everything (including fakesigned stuff, just all titles) before deletion in a brand new file, which is how you can re-download legit content...coincidentally this actually means for a lot of people looking to virginize their system, they have actually created a more permanent record of their piracy....one which could easily be removed with an app written similar to "preloader hacks remover" but there simply is no app to do so.

Very corrrect. Though there IS a way to get rid of these files: clear your shop account AFTER formatting, then reformat again.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
noobwarrior7 said:
tickets are deleted, but first an index is created....for those who wanted the gist of my post...

the tickets are gone...the index remains....

bricks happen...nothing useful happens.

FULLSTOP.

Thank you. I hope this knowledge will spread and people will stop to suggest to format incase of trouble. I personally see only 1 reason for this: You want to clean your Wii before you sell it.

getrehl

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
noobwarrior7 said:
tickets are deleted, but first an index is created....for those who wanted the gist of my post...

the tickets are gone...the index remains....

bricks happen...nothing useful happens.

FULLSTOP.

Thank you. I hope this knowledge will spread and people will stop to suggest to format incase of trouble. I personally see only 1 reason for this: You want to clean your Wii before you sell it.

I agree, but people should also verify everything is working correctly before removing the HBC. Just because it is posted as a tutorial in some thread people assume everything went OK.

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most often, from what I can tell, the "format your wii to fix it" suggestion...

Has been handed down through the ages, from one noob to another, it's power wielded without care or caution, destroying all that succumb to it's temptation.

laugh.gif
kidding aside, pretty sure I've never seen anyone that knows what they're talking about suggest this as a 'fix'.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
It has helped me once.... My wii crashed (or failed to read the disc, or something) while creating a savegame. Caused me all sort of weird issues - disc drive would work sometimes, and others not at all. A format fixed it, but just deleting that particular save would have too.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't installing system menu wad or even using a dvd almost the same as formatting a wii and also maybe deleting all traces of hacking.i know it gets rid of preloader cioscrop and starfall.so if anyone so if the reason for formatting is maybe to sell the wii or fix an issue i think this is the best way to go because i've done this before just to get rid of my custom health that softmii tweaks gave me.all the hacks disapeared accept the homebrew channel was left.and if no one want that channel that is the best time to delete it if you plan on selling a wii.

sorry if i went a little off topic but today i seen a couple new threads about bricking a wii from formatting it.

EDIT
i read some people format there wii either to fix a problem or sell it.

Linuks

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have too much or too biog messages on the wii board (send a huge mail to your Wii friend), the Wii will freeze 3s after you push it on. You have to launch the recovery menu and then format your Wii
frown.gif

I tried to delete the mails fastly but the problem were still he. So many formatting is the only solution for some problems
frown.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
formatting with preloader installed can cause a brick...about 7-8 people have reported this.

linuks
you mean the maintenance mode, not the recovery menu.....so yes, one good reason to format:
-BigWiiMail freeze

the bad save file doesnt count as a good reason....and formatting doesnt remove your shop channel account, you have to do that separately.

you should always install a clean menu wad before formatting, that will remove preloader, and then (assuming you havent region changed) there should be no danger of a format.

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering can Starfall brick your Wii if its enabled and you format. similar to the preloader?

Great post by the way i had no idea that you could format the Wii and still redownload your Wii shop games.

trancepara

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kylsav said:
I'm wondering can Starfall brick your Wii if its enabled and you format. similar to the preloader?

Great post by the way i had no idea that you could format the Wii and still redownload your Wii shop games.

I don't think so, since the last time I reformatted was to free up space taken up by useless things (like a whole year worth of messages) and at that time I was messing with VC wads so I had starfall installed so I could recover from a banner brick.

You just have to reinstall starfall ;p. Didn't know that preloader bricked wii's if formatte while it was installed (thank god I didn't!).

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
trancepara said:
kylsav said:

I don't think so, since the last time I reformatted was to free up space taken up by useless things (like a whole year worth of messages) and at that time I was messing with VC wads so I had starfall installed so I could recover from a banner brick.

You just have to reinstall starfall ;p. Didn't know that preloader bricked wii's if formatte while it was installed (thank god I didn't!).

Cool thanks i wouldn't risk it anyway though
unsure.gif
since its easy to install.

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, here is a GOOD reason to format:

I bought my wii second hand, it was a surprise for me that when I tried to go wi-fi it was giving me error 110213, this is a "must replace wii" problem as stated by nintendo, there is no way to "solve" the problem... So I went so frustrated that I started to play with the settings and I tried to format it... guess what?... It fixed the problems right away after format... so it does fix "some things" at that time, I had no hacking whatsoever in the wii, nothing. So I had no fear to brick the system. I must say, I know it works because I did it twice, cuz after that first fomat the shop channel was unavailable (another must replace wii error) so I tried to format again then it went to the first error, I formatted the wii a couple of times that same day until it worked again. Since then 2 people have sent me emails reporting that YES formating fixed that particular issue... hope it helps ... cheers

~Wiiloader~

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aruek_ca18det said:
OK, here is a GOOD reason to format:

I bought my wii second hand, it was a surprise for me that when I tried to go wi-fi it was giving me error 110213, this is a "must replace wii" problem as stated by nintendo, there is no way to "solve" the problem... So I went so frustrated that I started to play with the settings and I tried to format it... guess what?... It fixed the problems right away after format... so it does fix "some things" at that time, I had no hacking whatsoever in the wii, nothing. So I had no fear to brick the system. I must say, I know it works because I did it twice, cuz after that first fomat the shop channel was unavailable (another must replace wii error) so I tried to format again then it went to the first error, I formatted the wii a couple of times that same day until it worked again. Since then 2 people have sent me emails reporting that YES formating fixed that particular issue... hope it helps ... cheers
My Wii IS softmodded, is there anny other way to fix error 110213?
unsure.gif
sad.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
way to respond to a 2yr old topic.

but to answer your question, yes, you can "fix"this error. i personally have gotten this error from doing some less-than-smart things to the wii. there are actually several errors like this that are related. and the wii seems to bounce around between 2 or 3 different error codes. i can reproduce it, and i can eventually "fix" it. ( while nintendo's repair facilities apparently still have no way to fix it and will issue you new hardware ).

the way i am dealing with the issue is simply persistence. if you just tell your wii to format the system memory, restart it, then setup your network settings ( use 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 for DNS servers ), do the network test, try to update, select the EULA. bounce around the settings selecting each of these things. format it again, and repeat. all the stuff.

i never tracked down exactly what is causing the error or what was necessary to do to fix that error. but i can reproduce it easily. and by doing all the stuff i listed, i can eventually get the wii to connect to the internet again. it usually takes me now about 5 minutes to fix. and once you get the wii to connect, it will save the settings and i can do all 3 of the internet connections without error happening.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:

but to answer your question, yes, you can "fix"this error. i personally have gotten this error from doing some less-than-smart things to the wii. there are actually several errors like this that are related. and the wii seems to bounce around between 2 or 3 different error codes. i can reproduce it, and i can eventually "fix" it. ( while nintendo's repair facilities apparently still have no way to fix it and will issue you new hardware ).

the way i am dealing with the issue is simply persistence. if you just tell your wii to format the system memory, restart it, then setup your network settings ( use 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 for DNS servers ), do the network test, try to update, select the EULA. bounce around the settings selecting each of these things. format it again, and repeat. all the stuff.

i never tracked down exactly what is causing the error or what was necessary to do to fix that error. but i can reproduce it easily. and by doing all the stuff i listed, i can eventually get the wii to connect to the internet again. it usually takes me now about 5 minutes to fix. and once you get the wii to connect, it will save the settings and i can do all 3 of the internet connections without error happening.

Whatever it is that causes the issue was always solved by formatting the system.... I assume you want to figure out a way of fixing these problems without going to such extreme lengths?

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha I didn't realize this was a 2 year old topic neither. At first I was wondering why someone as great as Wiipower created this Topic (I was thinking the Topic was new) when he more than anyone else has the answers for it but then I realized this topic was "revived"

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hells Guardian said:
giantpune said:

Whatever it is that causes the issue was always solved by formatting the system.... I assume you want to figure out a way of fixing these problems without going to such extreme lengths?
It's related to bad WC24 registration info, normally caused by "running in" a new nand dump then switching back to an older one. Doing a system format re-registers with nintendo and fixes the info in nwc24msg.cfg.

Edit: Other info in this thread is fail. Formatting does NOT remove tickets.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
UranusKiller said:
QUOTE said:
I did it and now I can't re-download my boughted VC games, how do you explain that..??
I don't know what your'e doing, with the stuff people install on their wiis, but I know tickets ain't deleted from Formatting. Makes no difference anyway, tickets simply are not removed unless removed via that ATD.

Here comes my weird story, I remove my download ticket with ATD (I even made a thread about it here), I was really sad because it was Sin&Punishment, well time passed and I forget it, until I update my WiiShop channel time before and the title was available again, I'm not sure what happen, until today no one has give me an explanation.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OriginalHamster said:
UranusKiller said:
QUOTE said:
I did it and now I can't re-download my boughted VC games, how do you explain that..??
I don't know what your'e doing, with the stuff people install on their wiis, but I know tickets ain't deleted from Formatting. Makes no difference anyway, tickets simply are not removed unless removed via that ATD.

Here comes my weird story, I remove my download ticket with ATD (I even made a thread about it here), I was really sad because it was Sin&Punishment, well time passed and I forget it, until I update my WiiShop channel time before and the title was available again, I'm not sure what happen, until today no one has give me an explanation.
I believe tueidj can put into better words as he was the one that explained it to me, but the Wii Shop Account seems to be tied into the Wii's certificate which is stored in the OTP area of the Wii's memory. So unless you specifically "Remove Wii Shop Channel Account." from the Wii Shop's Settings Nintendo will still have a record server side of all your purchases linked to your Wii. At least this is what I remember..... I find this odd however as on it's System Memory Format page WiiBrew states:
WiiBrewWhen you format your Wii System Memory, you are still able to download Virtual Console games and Wii Ware applications that you have paid for through your Wii Shop Account. This is because your unique identifier is stored as /shared2/succession/transfer.id as part of the format process.
This leads me to think that it's not something in the OTP that ties to the Wii Shop Account...Darn I'm confused again....tueidj, someone help!

EDIT: More info...

Bushing (I assume it was Bushing) states in a posting at BootMii.org the following:
Bushing
To be perfectly clear: The WiiShop is tied to a key in OTP. You will not be able to use this to transfer purchased titles from one console to another.
Which then brings us back to what I believe tueidj explained to me about the key/certificate in the OTP.....

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries