Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm curious did formatting the Wii memory ever solve a problem for anybody? Is there any kind of problem that can be solved by this, or is there even any problem you can only solve by this? Everytime i read about formatting the Wii, i read brick.

Just to be sure with "Only good for bricks" i mean, it's only good for bricking your Wii

I know there are more negative answers than positive ones, but these are the only ones which came to my mind. If somebody wants other answers, please ask.

I got some results and i will try to summarize them here:

Reasons for formatting:
- To clean up the Wii for selling it
- delete messages which cause the Wii to crash before you can delete them with the normal method

Brick chance:
- If you have preloader installed and you format the wii, you are bricked

"Side effects":
- All saves and tickets are deleted. You need to redownload all bought VC and WiiWare tiles, sd card backups of them will not work
- There's a file in the memory with information about the stuff you had before the format

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Exactly my dear friend, I perform an update in 3.2, so all my channels were gone, I make before doing this stupid thing a NAND_Dump, so I was able to pack my channels and install them, the thing is, since my tickets were gone, I had to fakesign them to be able to install them
laugh.gif
nothing really helpfull by formating unless you want to sell your console and you don't want to leave traces of your hacks there...!!!
smile.gif

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
Wii Format doesn't remove "Tickets" it only removes "saves" & "settings" Tickets are stored and don't get wiped.
This is a fact. I understand Any Title Deleter or whatever it is can remove them, but Formatting can't.

The only solution for some problems
Only good for bricks=Don't understand that at all, no way formatting leads to a brick.
Useful for cleaning up=Saves, Channels & settings yes.
I can't see its purpose =I can and it does what is needed.
Completely replaceable=should have allot more options.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I did it and now I can't re-download my boughted VC games, how do you explain that..??
I don't know what your'e doing, with the stuff people install on their wiis, but I know tickets ain't deleted from Formatting. Makes no difference anyway, tickets simply are not removed unless removed via that ATD.

getrehl

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that formatting the Wii only resets your "Wii number" and key assigned to anything purchased online. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought traces of any mods still remained on the system (tickets and such).

Basically the name is misleading. Format does not mean format like in the PC world.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Imagine someone buys a brand new wii, they go and purchase a VC/Wiiware of some kind.
They now go and Format their wii.
Finish establishing settings to preference, load WiiShop
Cannot Download your "previous" purchased VC/Wiiware...imagine the complaints etc. so that's why tickets are not removed.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
UranusKiller said:
Imagine someone buys a brand new wii, they go and purchase a VC/Wiiware of some kind.
Cannot Download your "previous" purchased VC/Wiiware...imagine the complaints etc. so that's why tickets are not removed.

Hmm, do you actually have bought VC or WiiWare on your Wii and you formatted your Wii once?

Ok, i don't know how to brick a Wii with the format, but i think i read 2-3 times about people who bricked their Wii and the last they did for format.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
WiiPower said:
Ok, i don't know how to brick a Wii with the format, but i think i read 2-3 times about people who bricked their Wii and the last they did for format.

If you have Preloader Installed and than format your Wii...
You will brick.

First delete Preloader totally and than you are safe to format.

(This also counts for SoftMii users since the pack includes Preloader)

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Yes I have "purchased" a couple, and I know you can re-download the purchased game.

Brick from Formatting? Complete crap, really is, may be a different story with people installing the things that are available.

And that Preloader then formatting may cause a problem, but i really doubt it. Then again, I wouldn't know about that.
All I can say on this matter is that's what disclaimers are for, if they can "potentially" cause a brick of some kind.

That's why everyone should have a Nand Dump.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i dont know what the deal is here, But i'll tell ya what i know from Experience, I have formatted my Wii a few times and Am still able to purchase VC games that i had Purchased some time ago, Also about Formatting and Bricking, Well it does seem After installing Softmii\CIOSCORP if you Update then Format it does seem to brick cording to some people, I can't repeat people results so i'm not sure whats causing the problem, So for now if you have Softmii\CIOSCORP installed it is best not to be Updating then Formatting, I guess you could Update then Downgrade would be fine Just Dont remove your HBC or Format until your sure your Wii Still Plays Games Correctly
But other than that Formatting is completely safe

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
UranusKiller said:
Tickets are infact REMOVED. Just download a WiiWare/VC game through the shop, save it to an SD card (with the Wii Management) don't remove it yet. Format your wii. Now try to copy the game back from the SD. Fails. Go to the shop and redownload the game, works. Why?

Nintendo was smart enough to make the Wii save the data from the shop channel on your Wii when you format it. This holds all the info about the games you bought. These files get deleted from your system when you remove your shopaccount (See shop channel).

Wii Formatting doesn't do a thing with the IOS-es, though. So you should remove all cIOS-stuff before you format, otherwise you might brick your wii.

I've formatted my wii a few times, and I didn't have any non-default ticket on my Wii after doing so. And yes, I've checked it.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Thankyou for some clarification WiiBlaster, Yes as I said in above post it's due to simple people installing things then expecting to simply "Format"

Like I said "Formatting" in NO WAY shape or form can it remove them tickets.
If it did Nintendo would be having another Law Suit
tongue.gif

Seriously, you think they would make you pay more than once.

Formatting is as it should be.

getrehl

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From Nintendo's site:

Format (Erase) Wii System Memory

This option is used to delete ALL Channels and ALL save data that have been added to the Wii console and will wipe the system memory clean, as it was when purchased new. Please note that if you also have a Wii Shop Account, that data should be deleted first (click here for instructions).

To delete ALL Channels and save data
1. Access the Wii System Settings screen (how to).
2. Click on the left blue arrow twice to reach the Wii System Settings 3 menu options.
3. Select "Format Wii System Memory."

4. If Parental Controls are set, enter the PIN.
5. If you are sure you want to erase the Wii console's system memory, select "Format."

Erasing Wii Shop Account

Note: You should format your Wii Shop Channel and Wii console's system memory prior to selling or otherwise transferring your Wii console to any third party. (For information about privacy and the protection of your personal information, click here.)

To clear information from the Wii Shop Channel, including records of your transactions and rights to download software:

1. Access the Wii Shop Channel.
2. Select "Settings" from the list of options.
3. Select "Remove Wii Shop Channel Account."

Once completed, all information will be erased.

I'm not trying to add garbage to the thread just the "official" definition from Nintendo.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So it's deleteting all channels, saves and settings on the "pro" side and in special cases brick chance on the "con" side. While the channel, saves and settings removement can be done manually title per title from the Wii Menu. And all tickets stay in memory, so redownload for bought software is possible. Did i summarize correctly?

*Edit: ok it seems that's not correct

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know about the tickets i do believe they get removed from Formatting and Installing a VC GAME to the sd card, then formatting yes your right you can't copy them back to the wii, But you can still download them from the Wii Shop, for free
This is not a guess its a Fact

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uranuskiller

I've said it before on here so I will clear this up, and you can check wiibrew, they mention exactly everything that format function does...two things it does do?:

-deletes all "installed" tickets (downloaded/wad stuff)
-CREATES an index of everything (including fakesigned stuff, just all titles) before deletion in a brand new file, which is how you can re-download legit content...coincidentally this actually means for a lot of people looking to virginize their system, they have actually created a more permanent record of their piracy....one which could easily be removed with an app written similar to "preloader hacks remover" but there simply is no app to do so.

there, that is more or less the breakdown....check wiibrew's info on it for more.

two occasions when it can actually lead to bricks:
-preloader installed systems
-region changed systems

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
UranusKiller said:
Thankyou for some clarification WiiBlaster, Yes as I said in above post it's due to simple people installing things then expecting to simply "Format"

Like I said "Formatting" in NO WAY shape or form can it remove them tickets.
If it did Nintendo would be having another Law Suit
tongue.gif

Seriously, you think they would make you pay more than once.

Formatting is as it should be.
You really did not read my post.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
and in special cases brick chance on the "con" side.
That's not a case that's just in the danger from homebrew, some may call it "bad" I can'y say never touched it.

But yes obviously your bound to not be able to re-copy it over from SD, but downloading again from wiishop Yes, then recopying over to SD, and back will work.
I think Formatting is covered now.

Summary
Clean Wii=Format is safe
Various installations =Unsafe on some note, I would love to see someone video this Formatting=Brick

Yes Noobwarrior iv'e read that before, you explained it to the brim.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tickets are deleted, but first an index is created....for those who wanted the gist of my post...

the tickets are gone...the index remains....

bricks happen...nothing useful happens.

FULLSTOP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?