Format Bricked Wii - Preloader/HBC Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Soyaku, Jun 2, 2009.

Jun 2, 2009
  1. Soyaku
    OP

Newcomer Soyaku Newbie

United States
    I have foolishly reformatted my soft modded Wii and have forgotten to run Hack Remover beforehand.

So...I've been searching for numerous guides on how to unbrick my Wii and get the system menu functioning correctly again.

I had come up with one solution that allowed me to reinstall the HBC.

So, I install HBC and now when I reset my Wii it keeps asking me to install HBC each time I power on the Wii.

I was following a guide that I found on another website.

I'm stumped now, and I would appreciate any advice on how to get this resolved.

Thanks,
    ~Soyaku

2. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Possibly that solution which you came up with screwed your Wii. Tell us what solution that you did? On top of that, you can't remove Hacks Remover, did you mean preloader?

You gotta give us more info, what guide you used to unbrick, what solution that you did, what guide on another website that you followed, etc etc.

3. Soyaku
    OP

Newcomer Soyaku Newbie

United States
    Well, I reinstalled the hack.ini and also boot.dol and that's when HBC decided to reinstall itself.

However, it was part of the guide to reinstall it. The guide did not mention how to get it to keep from installing after that.

To run Preloader, do you have to hold down the reset button?

Because, I was hoping I could boot up to HBC instead of the System menu.

Edit:

I'm not sure if there's a rule on posting links to other sites, if so, please delete this link.

But...this is the guide I am using: How to unbrick

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Apparently what he did was reformat, which caused the system menu to be deleted because Preloader changes the order of titles in the wii.

I'm thinking you could run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and get your WIi into a sane configuration that way. That would get rid of Preloader but you could reinstall it afterwards.

And yes, holding reset gets you into Preloader's menu.

5. afif95

Malaysia
    Ahh, that is so.... what I would suggest it, boot into the preloader menu by holding down the reset button while turning on your Wii, go into the settings and re-configure the autoboot from file to System menu

6. Soyaku
    OP

Newcomer Soyaku Newbie

United States
    Okay, I will try to get into the Preloader menu first, if not I will look into the 4.0 update.

I will update my findings on this thread when I try them.

Thank you both.

7. leondmsmith

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    boot to preloader, once their run homebrew channel, on your sd card you want wad manager and the correct system menu you was on previous as a wad, use wad manger to install that and will miraculosly turn on as clean boot, preloader will still be installed, i presume it says sytem files are corrupt or cannot find system files, something to that effect when it boots normally, all advice given as my own experience after using nintendo wii format option =)

8. leondmsmith

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Also you may lose your disc update protection, if that is the case you might want to reinstall starfall if you was on 3.2, most people will say just go with 4 now though, i still like 3.2 though =)

Posts merged

and also re update your hacks file from within preloader itserlf to ensure everything was as previous lol

9. afif95

Malaysia
    leondsmith, please don't triple-post. On top of that, please don't give him false information.

If you re-install the system menu, preloader will be gone. Use Wii Format on a Preloader-ed Wii will render it to a brick.

No need for these long steps because all he did was install the HBC installer's boot.dol into the NAND and set it to autoboot. So all he needs to do is set that autoboot into other thing.

10. Digital1980

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I had 3.2 with preloader 0.29 installed and used the Wii format option without resulting in a brick. Sounds like it is NOT SAFE to do and I just got lucky?

11. dai-a

Member dai-a GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Please don't bring up old topics.