Gaming Forever Blue on PAL Wii - supposedly possible?

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First off, check out this familiar list:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wi...patibility_List

And scroll down to "Forever Blue (bug fixed version) (Caravan)". Note that this is listed in the "NTSC-J (Japan) to PAL" category. Lastly, note that the game is stated to be compatible with PAL Wii consoles, as the green boxes next to it indicate.

Now I know what kinds of trouble is involved when we're talking about getting JPN games to work on a PAL Wii or even an NTSC-U Wii, but this has got to mean something.

I've been looking around to see what others experienced and have found mixed results. Some have stated that the game actually does work, while others vehemently deny it (though it didn't seem as though they had actually tried it themselves).

Now I've tried to run this release on my Wiikey 1.9b console with the 3.0E firmware freshly installed, and I'm getting an error. It just can't read the disc. I've tried it twice, with a DVD-R and a DVD+R, neither worked. Still, I'm confident this must be one of those games that you can play on PAL. I just need to find a way how.

So can you help me out here, GBAtemp, old pal old buddy old friend huh?

In return for your services, I present here the world's funniest essay:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1

Maybe even more rewards will follow. Who knows?
wink.gif

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the reply, stormbob.

Indeed, that is exactly one of the posts I was talking about. Problem is, not only is this one of only two confirmations I have seen for this game, but it also fails to run on my own PAL Wii, as I stated earlier
frown.gif

I live in Holland, and I've never seen and Verbatim DVD's being sold around here, so I'm using Philips DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs (primarily the former). I've tried them both for this game, and there's no change whatsoever; I enter the disc and it does not get recognized. The game doesn't even show up in the Channnels.

Also, I have used BrickBlocker both times without success. But I have a question about that: When you patch an ISO using BrickBlocker, isn't that ISO supposed to become smaller in size? I've noticed that mine doesn't do that for some reason (i.e. it stays the same size). Maybe this is the problem. Any ideas on how to correct that?

My question is, what steps do you guys usually take in trying to get a game to run when you know it's possible to do?

Thanks again guys.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Brickblockers doesn't make the ISO smaller. It just zero's a region in the ISO where the update is supposed to be.

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Brickblockers doesn't make the ISO smaller. It just zero's a region in the ISO where the update is supposed to be.

I see. That explains it. I thought I was doing something wrong there for a second.

I will try to see if i can get the release and test it my self. I have some Verbatim DVD's left.

Offtopic:
Myron, buy Verbatim DVD's here http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?bid=13&cid=115. Its from the UK, and they are quite cheap (atleast compared to Denmark) and very fast.

Thanks man, that'd be really great. The release I'm trying is called Forever_Blue_Bug_Fixed_Version_JPN_Wii-Caravan, but there's at least one other release out there that I know of, but I'm not sure if it's bug fixed (there was an issue in the game that made it crash).

A second opinion would be priceless, though. And if you'd get it to run I'd love to hear how you did it
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The release I'm trying is called Forever_Blue_Bug_Fixed_Version_JPN_Wii-Caravan, but there's at least one other release out there that I know of, but I'm not sure if it's bug fixed

You don't know if it's the bug fixed version ?
but that's written in the game name : "Bug Fixed Version", so yes : it's the bug fixed version.
This is the second release. The first one with bugs and error is from group Dreamz, and the good one is from Caravan.

As for the green in the Wiki, I did and and I'm sorry I made it green but forgot to mention "WiiBrickBlocker". Ok, now I added the WiiBrickBlocker note on the Wiki.
I can assure you it's working on PAL (french).
I made a tutorial with screen captures on the wiki, so you can see it's working.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=0251_-_Forever_Blue

Edit :
For your info :
Media type used : Verbatim 16x, written in 4x with Nero

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The release I'm trying is called Forever_Blue_Bug_Fixed_Version_JPN_Wii-Caravan, but there's at least one other release out there that I know of, but I'm not sure if it's bug fixed

You don't know if it's the bug fixed version ?
but that's written in the game name : "Bug Fixed Version", so yes : it's the bug fixed version.
This is the second release. The first one with bugs and error is from group Dreamz, and the good one is from Caravan.

As for the green in the Wiki, I did and and I'm sorry I made it green but forgot to mention "WiiBrickBlocker". Ok, now I added the WiiBrickBlocker note on the Wiki.
I can assure you it's working on PAL (french).
I made a tutorial with screen captures on the wiki, so you can see it's working.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=0251_-_Forever_Blue

Edit :
For your info :
Media type used : Verbatim 16x, written in 4x with Nero

You are right, this is indeed the bug fixed version, and I'm glad I have the right one
smile.gif

Also, you are my new idol for getting Forever Blue to work on PAL
biggrin.gif

I just find it strange that it works with you, but not with me. Would you mind perhaps comparing our specifics?

I'm currently running a PAL Wii with 3.0E firmware update and a WiiKey with the 1.9b patch.
I patched the ISO using the BrickBlocker, and then burned it on a Philips DVD-R using 4x burn speed.

That's about all I can imagine to be relevant. Is there something you notice to be different from your own situation perhaps, apart from the media we used? Otherwise, I may seriously have to consider getting those Verbatims
tongue.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, nothing different apart the media.

I'm on 3.0E and 1.9b too
I haven't updated the additional 3.0 supposedly to correct Wii bricking while returning with home-menu from some channels.
(I received a mail from nintendo telling me this reason for updating)

That's the only difference.

edit :
what's not working ?
does the game appear in the disc channel ?
does it start running or not at all ?
etc.

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember getting that email not too long ago, too. And in fact, I accepted the update and clicked OK. Strange thing is, when it started to update, it told me I already had the newest update on my Wii and that the procedure was unnecessary. So there might be another little difference between your situation and mine.

What's happening anyway is this:
I insert the DVD-R (with brickblocker applied). I wait in the channels window. Nothing happens. The game window doesn't react, and there's just the symbol of a dvd sort of revolving. When I actually click on the games channel, the dvd starts to spin, then stops spinning and I get a message. I can't remember 100% what that message is, but it's something along the lines of "cannot read disc, do something blabla". I've had this before with other games, even PAL games. Ironically, the problem was later fixed by switching over to different media. So that might really be the solution after all.

So no, the games doe snot apprear in the disc channel, and it does not start running at all. It's just completely unrecognized.

Hope this helps.

And thanks for the help so far. Really.

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol, Thanks anyway
tongue.gif

Btw, I just found out my dad had a set of Verbatim DVD+Rs in his cabinet, lol. It's a dual layer one, though, meaning it's got over 8GB of space. I'm burning the ISO now though as we speak at 4x burn speed with ImgBurn. I'll tell you how it works out.

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Update:

I tried burning the ISO like I said in my previous post, and the attempt failed again.
Perhaps the fact that it's a DVD+R instead of a DVD-R makes a crucial difference, so I'm considering ordering me a pack of 10 or so Verbatim DVD-Rs from Germany or wherever.

I'm not sure if ordering from the UK would be the cheapest option. I'm considering that www.nierle.com website like you said, Barta, especially since they sell Taiyo Yudens, which is probably what I'm gonna try instead of Verbatims after all. Still, I'm looking for the best website to order from considering my location. I live in Holland, so maybe I should order from somewhere like Germany? Or maybe nierle.com is just as good. What do you think?

Also, if anyone still has any suggestions concerning my ISO problem I'm still very receptive to ideas. One thing I just tried was to use Region Frii on the ISO before burning it on a regular Philips DVD+R. I was thinking that, maybe together with the 1.9b patch for the WiiKey, the region free function got disabled by default and that's what caused the disc to be unreadable. However, this also failed, so now I'm really stumped for ideas. Those Taiyo Yudens may be my last hope after all.

I'm just so surprised that the game seems to work fine for you, Cyan, as well as another Dutch guy that I spoke to online, but not for me, even though we have practically identical Wii configurations.

P.S. Oh and one more thing. What do you guys think about not applying the brickblocker to the ISO, but instead just using Region Frii on it? Isn't it possible that BrickBlocker sometimes makes an image unreadable? Anyway, I'm sure I have the latest patch on my Wii, and it's true that I can just pull the cable from my Wii and interrupt the patching at any time, right?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My Wiikey is configured so RegionFrii patch is not needed.
1.9b didn't changed the region setting (US games still boot)
You only need the BrickBlocker patch. maybe sometime the patch fails, I don't know, it's the first time I patch a Wii game with it.

I don't know if Wii games can be written on Double layers.
I suggest you try with DVD-R 4.7G with closed partition while burning.

Try burning another game from another region (maybe your writer is not good anymore ?).
I don't understand why it is not working, sorry
frown.gif

as for the patch, don't bother trying it, the game doesn't need anything from it.

Myron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried something yesterday. Something a little risky. I tried burning the ISO with no BrickBlocker patch applied, but only used Region Frii instead. The result, when I started the game up, something actually happened. It asked me to update, lol!

Well, since I was sure I had the latest updates and all, I decided to just go through with it. I expected it to check for updates real quick and then tell me I already have the latest version, but instead it went through with the updating process and then told me "update complete" : \

At this point I was pretty terrified. My screen turned black and I was ready for the worst to come. Instead, the Wii booted up fine, and for the first time I could actually see the game appear in the games channel!

Basically, the result is now that I can play the game. The problem is solved. I'm just really surprised that BrickBlocker was the thing that caused it. I'm starting to wonder what other JAP games may run on my Wii if I just stop using brickblocker.

Of course, this is still risky business since we're talking non-PAL games here. But that's something i want to ask you about.

I'm want to know if there's *any* chance at all that a foreign ISO may brick your wii with an update, *even if* you already have the latest updates. This sounds highly unlikely, of course, but I'm just wondering if there were ever cases reported of this.

In any case, thanks for all you guys' help. I've learned something these past days and I hope so did you
smile.gif

stewie2007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the game works fine on my us cyclowiz wii i used wiibrickblocker and regionfrii the update fixed forever blue is the only one thatll work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ