Folding@home

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Bloodgod, Jul 1, 2008.

?
  1. I do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I don't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Mar 16, 2007
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    Well understanding protein folding requires tons of calculations. Stanford alone can't do it.

Stanford actually HAS acknowledged people who were willing to help.

When some protein-related disease hits me (like Mad Cow disease -or vCJD on humans- since one mad cow was recently found in British Columbia) I'm sure my contribution to the research would give me a better chance of survival than taking Advil.

I have a fixed monthly electricity bill. No matter how much I use, it's not gonna affect me.
    So I'm doing good for the humanity with no consequence on my behalf. (Well, my living room would be a little warmer)

2. Hiratai

Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

Banned
    Aug 17, 2007
    United States
    How is telling you that you are on your period have ANYTHING to do with amnesia. This is not remembrance, this is you. Choose not to be stupid.

3. juggernaut911

juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    I dont use it, power issue.

PS: HIRITAI ANGRY!!!!!! RAAAARRRRR!!!!!

4. camx

camx GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2003
    United States
    colorado USA
    my folding box (folding for team 32) runs 24/7. over the years its gotten all my 6 month hand-me-downs from my main PC upgrades. So right now its a C2D E4400 @ 3.6ghz, 2gb ram and wxp. Runs in my bedroom, on a low footprint 300W supply. Have had a box folding since 2001.

5. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    Link to your profile on extremeoverclocking? That must be some major WU/Points

6. Trulen

Trulen GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    I would turn it on more if it could run in the background when I'm on the PS3, and I fear the PS3 will overheat if I leave it on overnight.

But I did let it complete one folding [​IMG]

7. ZeWarrior

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    I did 2 folds on my PS3. TBH, I don't plan on doing anymore as My PS3 gets hot enough as it is leaving it on 24/7 is just asking for trouble.

8. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

Aug 7, 2007
    United States
    haha i saw on the first page someone thought this was a game?! omg..

Also, to whoever said it won't benefit them so they won't do it. At least when you get Alzheimers you won't remember you said that.

i've read in forums that people have had this going since they got their PS3 at launch and they've had no problems.

I've never tried it yet I've only had my ps3 for a few weeks now. soon enough.

9. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Mar 16, 2007
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    One time I ran it for about 60 hours in a row (I played some games in between, but when I was not home it was doing F@H)
    I was surprised to see that it wasn't having any trouble. That was during the Fall, I'm not planning to run F@H at all unless weather cools down.

10. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    I didn't know they did it with the PS3. I wouldn't deliberately leave a console/computer on just to fold. I've always thought of it just as a good compromise for those people who flat-out refuse to turn their computers off; if it's going to chew energy it may as well do something useful while it's at it. But I'll admit that I don't know a lot about it, and might have a different view if I understood the cause. The maintainence would bother me too, I'm the kind of person who'll use something until it breaks so I don't have a lot of spare parts laying around. Add a PS3 back into the equation and you're looking at a repair nightmare.

11. Turmoil

Turmoil GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    disease v global warming

This is almost as good as the dreaded football arguments.

12. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    I'm using the SMP client now that I have my new PC, about ~1300 points every 36 hours