XP
Country
United Kingdom
review.gif
FlatMii Review
Official GBAtemp Review
flatmii.png
flatmii.jpg
lilsypha has just completed her full written review of one of the newest Wii modchips - the 'FlatMii'.

Unlike conventional modchips the FlatMii eliminates the need for DVD's and instead allows you to stream supported ISO images directly from your Windows PC via high-speed USB 2.0.

lilsypha said:
It isn't often that a brand new product enters a scene already stuffed to the brim with different types of established modchips. The FlatMii has not only broken into that scene, but actually manages to bring something entirely different to the table that separates itself from the other products available. Why? It isn't a modchip! It doesn't allow you to play backed up games on disc, nor does it allow you to install homebrew software. "So then what's the point, why should I bother buying this and installing it in my Wii? What is it?" The FlatMii is a Wii DVD drive on a chip, and you can use it in a variety of different ways:
Check lilsypha's review via the link below to see how the FlatMii performs. And be sure to post your comments on the review and any additional questions you may have in this thread.

icon11.gif
 FlatMii Review
discuss.png
Discuss
Review kit supplied by:

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Brilliant!
Thanks alot for the review.
So the USB Cable is not included...(wasnt mentioned anywhere....).
Other than that, seems to be a good product.

ace90099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got one of these a few days ago because I love the ideal of not wasting DVDs with bad burns or unruly dvd drives. I chose to install mine with the dvd drive so I can still play the games I already own. Just so you know it can be an extremely tight fit for the flatmii in some wiis. The only downside to using this is that sometime the no disc screen will popup while playing a game but will correct itself in a few seconds and I can't seem to get it to work with GC multirom images like mario sunshine and double dash on one image.

I would recommend this to anyone who dislikes burning DVDs and who dosen't mine their computer running at the same time as the wii.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite ease I have the feeling I will be installing a few of these in the near future. Going by this review I may have to snag one for myself.

I suppose the question now is who builds himself a custom PC to house one of these first.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanas said:
Using up 4gig of HD space for the sake of a 10pence DVD-R, is a bit stupid if you ask me.

hard drives are cheap these days, so space is not a really big issue considering most wii games aren`t even 4 gigs. the ability to have a lot of games available in one spot without having to rummage through 20+ different dvd`s helps. it also saves you 20 - 40 minutes of your life having to reburn a disc if you scratch it to hell or do a bad burn. but everyone has their own way of looking at this. i will pick one up if team matrix doesn`t gets off their asses and releases more information about the wiizii. but if nothing i will be getting this.

QUOTE(Sahduk @ Feb 17 2009, 07:47 AM) dum question but...... do you have to have your pc on while playing the game?

yes

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lexxlexx said:
how its can be black wii on the photo in review ?

I was actually going to make a note about that somewhere. I changed my Wii case to this. No relation to that particular store. I also changed my Wii Remote and Nunchuck cases to this in black as well. I never liked that the Wii came only in white.
smile.gif

Posts merged

QUOTE(Ergo @ Feb 16 2009, 04:41 PM) Are load times any faster than normal or exactly the same?

Exactly the same, there are no improved load times. Everything functions exactly the same as a retail disc.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ace90099 said:
Just so you know it can be an extremely tight fit for the flatmii in some wiis.

Yes, I can't stress this enough. I mentioned in the review that if you're using a solderless clip for your modchip, there really isn't enough room. If you're installing it with a hardmodded drive or a virgin drive, there is -just- enough room if you install it correctly! I broke my ribbon cable trying to install them together, so be forewarned!
smile.gif

QUOTE(ace90099 @ Feb 16 2009, 04:14 PM) and I can't seem to get it to work with GC multirom images like mario sunshine and double dash on one image.

You need to build the image using a good tool, like GCM Utility v0.5. Make sure you have good images of the games to start with. I compiled a 70 game GameCube image, and it worked with no problems. If you've downloaded the multi image from the web, it may have been built with an earlier tool or may have something non-standard done to it preventing it from working.

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Awesome review, Ive been using one since release day and its not failed me once! I found it a little bit fiddly to fit in the correct spot but after that its been a dream to use! Ive got a nice 500gb internal sata drive dedicated to wii games and even when my pc is under heavy load the games dont suffer one bit! Great stuff if you dont mind your wii being next to your PC. Would be awesome if it were developed a bit more to allow loading from external HDD directly connected to the wii though.

It does exactly what it sets about doing and does it perfectly! 10/10 from me
biggrin.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kamui said:
Brilliant!
Thanks alot for the review.
So the USB Cable is not included...(wasnt mentioned anywhere....).
Other than that, seems to be a good product.

You're welcome! No, the cable is not included. It needs a standard mini-USB to USB cable though. Maybe some stores will start bundling one, who knows?
smile.gif

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
It looks interesting and the PC requirement isn't so bad, but the fact that you have to actually use the PC is the downer. I could plug it in to my HTPC, but there's no way I'd be able to manipulate the software with my remote. They need to create a Wii channel that instructs the PC to load a specific ISO so that the user never needs to interact with the PC, then they'd have a killer device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night