outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bricking your DS via flashing is a statistical improbability. you have to get the file to be partially flashed without actually writing any data. meaning you have to have started writing and then turn it off before it writes 1%. I feel kinda sorry for those who believe they are incapable of doing so.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more than confident that I can successfully flash my dsl, I'm just hesitant to bet my $130 that I can if a pass device can work just as well without the possibility of bricking (barring me running suspicious code on my dsl)

seven5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bricking your DS via flashing is a statistical improbability. you have to get the file to be partially flashed without actually writing any data. meaning you have to have started writing and then turn it off before it writes 1%. I feel kinda sorry for those who believe they are incapable of doing so.

yah, flashing my DSL was the easiest mod i've ever done. You DON"T have to open it up to get to the PCB, or solder anything, I dont know where that poster is getting that from. You bridge it with a toothpick and tin foil.

A mod using tools like that should tell you a child can do it. Don't be scared. Its worth it for battery life!

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yah, flashing my DSL was the easiest mod i've ever done. You DON"T have to open it up to get to the PCB, or solder anything, I dont know where that poster is getting that from. You bridge it with a toothpick and tin foil.

A mod using tools like that should tell you a child can do it. Don't be scared. Its worth it for battery life!

Ok it looks pretty easy now that I looked at the video. And as long as I leave it plugged into the charger (might have to let it drain a little so the charger doesn't cut off due to full charge), and my battery is secure, I shouldn't have a disaster. Might decide to flash it a bit later.
lecture.gif

However I do have a couple of questions:

1) If for any reason (in the future), you want to go back to the original firmware on the DSL, how do I do it?
2) Ok this is related to 1: What happens if someone makes a game that won't run on a flashed DS Lite, and you can't unflash it? Sure, that may never happen, but then again, who expected "E3" to be canceled and turned into a bastardation? This industry is mad...(and it's Sony's fault for getting pwned by Nintendo at E3), so anything's possible.

3) How does the brightness level changer work if flashme v7 was written before the DSL hit the stores? Stupid question I guess, but doesn't the DS Lite use a different firmware than the original DS ?

Thanks.

MaDDaWg836

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Ok it looks pretty easy now that I looked at the video. And as long as I leave it plugged into the charger (might have to let it drain a little so the charger doesn't cut off due to full charge), and my battery is secure, I shouldn't have a disaster. Might decide to flash it a bit later.
lecture.gif

However I do have a couple of questions:

1) If for any reason (in the future), you want to go back to the original firmware on the DSL, how do I do it?
2) Ok this is related to 1: What happens if someone makes a game that won't run on a flashed DS Lite, and you can't unflash it? Sure, that may never happen, but then again, who expected "E3" to be canceled and turned into a bastardation? This industry is mad...(and it's Sony's fault for getting pwned by Nintendo at E3), so anything's possible.

3) How does the brightness level changer work if flashme v7 was written before the DSL hit the stores? Stupid question I guess, but doesn't the DS Lite use a different firmware than the original DS ?

Thanks.

1. there is a noflash.nds but this is VERY risky, i think its like a 30% chance or lower. If you want it to look like you havent flashed it, there is a flashme_stealth which leaves the health warning screen so no one can tell. if you use the flashme.nds (regular) then the only way you can tell you flashed it is because there will be no health screen.

2. All a flash does is enable the DS to run unsigned code. So unless Nintendo decides to make a game that wont run on ANY DS, then this wont happen...ever.

3.The flashme v7 is for the DSL. EVERYTHING is the same.

In case you haven't seen this... http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33481

Hope this helps!

P.S. - i was scared to flash cuz of the shorting thing which i didnt like. Once i sucked it up and got a pair, it was easy as hell and very fun! i want to do it again!

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, guys.
I went ahead and flashed my NDSL.
Worked great except my insulated mini flat head screwdriver (used some electrical tape) wasn't bridging SL1 correctly at first; tilted it a bit and the flash started right up.
smile.gif

It *was* easy, after I read 3 guides and watched two videos (the guides REALLY help). But it's NOT quite as simple as others are making it out to be--you **HAVE** to use an insulated tool. If you don't do this, you could be staring at a future brick.

When I used a flashlight to look at the SL1 hole, I could visibly see where the "bad" part is, on the left side of the hole. It's very easy to accidentally touch that if you're using either a too thick tool, or a non insulated one and the entire tool moves to the edge, thus bridging the VR.

If you use a properly insulated tool (and even someone with a low IQ like me
wacko.gif
can do that), the only problem is getting contact with the bridge point.

My screwdriver flathead i chose was probably a bit -too- small, but my insulation job was first class
lecture.gif

(I used the Stealth one, just in case I need to ever return the unit for a RMA someday).

There is a major concern I have to address:

I tried the "bypass" key combo A B Select Start awhile after the flash was done (and I tested a few games) just to see what would happen, on the newest G6L loader, and I get a multicolored screen for about half a second (assume this is the bypass working), then the G6 comes up and says "please waiting... " (LOVE those chinese translators!) at the top and it says that forever. Is this a problem with the G6? (in other words, if I had accidentally bricked the unit and had to do this, what would happen if it said "please wait" and froze ?).

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry--no bricked DS for me.

You do realize there is the possibility of a trojan bricking your DS if your DS isn't flashed, right?

What trojan?

I read that it is possible for malicious programs or disguised ROM files to overwrite the portions of the DS that are accessible, thus bricking it completely, while flashme has bootup code in the write protected area (only writable by shorting SL1), which means that even if your DS is bricked by the same bad code, flashme will let you recover and you can flash it again, while with just a passcard/stock firmware, you're screwed completely, unless you do a BIOS swap.

The problem is, the G6 Lite will crash if you try to run anything in recovery mode
frown.gif
(and that's after you get the G6L to boot up by using an pre 4.1A firmware)

Rykar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Falkentyne said:
I read that it is possible for malicious programs or disguised ROM files to overwrite the portions of the DS that are accessible, thus bricking it completely, while flashme has bootup code in the write protected area (only writable by shorting SL1), which means that even if your DS is bricked by the same bad code, flashme will let you recover and you can flash it again, while with just a passcard/stock firmware, you're screwed completely, unless you do a BIOS swap.

The problem is, the G6 Lite will crash if you try to run anything in recovery mode
frown.gif
(and that's after you get the G6L to boot up by using an pre 4.1A firmware)

The only trojan was a romloader and hentai app created by DarkFader and most anti-viruses can detect them DSLazy can scan for them also.

dnte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sorry to sound totally stupid but I dont' seem to see anyone else asking
i'm also having the battery problem, really wana get it back to normal as close as possible (just got my g6lite+passcard 3 days ago)

my question is, Can I flash my DS LITE with the passcard3?
or can I only use the Flashme devices? which can be a problem since I have to order again...+shipping and a week of waiting

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to sound totally stupid but I dont' seem to see anyone else asking
i'm also having the battery problem, really wana get it back to normal as close as possible (just got my g6lite+passcard 3 days ago)

or can I only use the Flashme devices? which can be a problem since I have to order again...+shipping and a week of waiting

lol ......
There is no such thing as a "flashme device"
lecture.gif
You might be getting mixed up with the "shorting tool" for shorting the SL1 contact. (the best tool to use is a miniature flathead screwdriver..e.g the ones used for unscrewing eyeglass frames, fully insulated with electrical tape except for the very tip; make sure the flat head is long enough to bridge, though.)

You *NEED* the passcard 3 in order to flash the DSL, because it has to boot from the flash card (in DS mode) in order to run the loader for flashme (flashme.nds or flashme_stealth.nds). "NDS is the extension for "NintendoDS Roms/programs".

Using a passcard 3 is easier than using some other devices which require an sram write on that device first.
Just copy flashme.nds to your G6 Lite via windows explorer, put it in the NDS folder for easy access, and you're good to go after you make your insulated shorting tool.

Flashme is the flash program which you run, to flash your DS/DSL
smile.gif

Read some tutorials for flashing (read at LEAST 2, minimum) and look at a video, then you will be ready to flash..
AND DO NOT let the battery fall out ! Having the power cord plugged in will NOT save you; the charger is NOT an AC adapter and will NOT function as one!

Note: RECOVERY MODE will NOT work on a G6 Lite as of now...you will have to have a different device, like an older GBA flash cart, for recovery mode to work. The G6 Lite seems to require firmware functions in order to run programs correctly. Old versions of the G6L firmware will start up in recovery mode but will "white screen" when attempting to run flashme in this mode. Newer firmware versions will lock up right away, as they try to access the NDS battery status and clock.
So make SURE you follow correct precautions and use an insulated tool !

wolfear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
something wrong...

i slept at 2am , woke up at 10am , Playing super mario (new) , i already played like 1h30 before sleeping , then slept 8h DS in sleeping mode , and full battery ....

Seeker108

Trophies
Website
gamer60.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ok thanks. I think i will give this flashing thing a try later on today.

The flashing process was a success
smile.gif
I'm happy i did it. I hope i notice a difference in battery life now.

supervillain

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.realultimatepower.net
XP
Country
United States

Yes you can use passcard 3, I did it today. Just copy the flashme file to your cart using U-Disk Manager and follow this guilde

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4FTASzSPThM?si=i8JRmmFkpcXXIT7o +1