Hacking FlashCart Battery Life?

therascaldude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm in the market to buy a DS (first one) and am still having trouble deciding whether I should buy the lite or dsi. One of the most important things to me is battery life (as I'm constantly traveling (flying) for work), and I read that the lite has WAY better battery life then the dsi. However, I suppose I'm willing to make the sacrifice if the build and screens of the DSi are leaps and bounds better than the Ds lite. Thing is, I also remember reading that flash carts (which I will be using a lot) drain the battery more then a regular cartridge. If thats the case, will I be getting even LESS battery time then the standard 9-14 on lowest setting with the Dsi? Because if I'm gonna be getting less then 9 hours on even the lowest bright setting, the DS Lite seems to be a better purchase, as some of my flight are in the 10 hour range alone. Please let me know what you think guys.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, flashcarts drain battery a lot more than usual. I'm not too sure about the numbers, but IIRC, for me it was something like, 18 hours of DSL normally (on lowest light settings) and with flashcart, it would be like 5 hours (again, on lowest settings still). Maybe my DSL is a bit worn out and battery is old, but that's how mine works.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think yours is just worn out tiny.
tongue.gif

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Well the DS Lite comes with a 1000mAh battery vs. 840 on the DSi, and the plug is different too for some reason. If you want longer operation time for your DS, I recommend you buy a replacement 2000mAh battery. Slot 1 flashcarts also reduce operational time, usually by 30 minutes or so vs. original cart.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
Yep, flashcarts drain battery a lot more than usual. I'm not too sure about the numbers, but IIRC, for me it was something like, 18 hours of DSL normally (on lowest light settings) and with flashcart, it would be like 5 hours (again, on lowest settings still). Maybe my DSL is a bit worn out and battery is old, but that's how mine works.

Same i only seem to be getting 5 hours lately

Anyway, in general a flashcard DOES drain your battery life and it is noticable, yet it's not like it's that bad.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I found a way to make it less of an issue - the Gomadic powerpack as per my sig. Got the 2000 battery two, the combo gives a really really good lifespan per charge!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I rarely run my battery down (always charge it overnight, it's odd when people don't IMO). CycloDS has a "battery saver" mode, and we're not quite sure how it works, but I've not compared battery life with it myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: stick a decal on it