Flashcard for playing DS games

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Pantsface16, May 23, 2015.

1. Pantsface16
    OP

Pantsface16 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    I know there are many flashcards out there that support DS games, but I would like some help as to deciding which one to buy. I also have some questions, such as

1. Does it work with any 3DS version? I would rather keep the 3DS up to date. If the flashcard firmware is eventually updated to support the latest 3DS version then it's fine.

2. Will it affect the history of games played? DS games show up, so how about from the flashcard?

3. Any real risks/downsides? Anything bad or risky about using a flashcard?

And just to clarify,
    I'm looking for DS games only, I could care less for 3DS ROMs.

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    1 yes. (it supports any firmware as long as is the cards that i am and folks here recommend)

2 it shows up as a "one game" don't know what game this card uses, but on my dstwo it shows up as alex stormrider, some r4 show up as sponge bob.. the history will record it like you was playing that game...

3 no... there is no risk..

this r4 is the best one, you can search on other shops, but try to get this one, its the best available..
    http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149 please note, sticker on the card says r4ids.cn. only get a r4 from this website...

if you got luck, try to get a dstwo, is the best DS mode card.. but its rare to find now and most shops are out of stock

3. RoDryBones

RoDryBones Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I have a R4 SDHC Dual Core and no problem using it on 9.7; works like a charm with every DS game and I even could transfer the saves from my old original R4.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    My Supercard DSTwo I have had for years and it works perfectly on the latest firmware. Nintendo has stopped blocking DS flashcards a long time ago. So at this point, most of the current flashcards work just fine.

5. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    If you don't care about 3DS roms just get an a old DSI OR DSlite. I have a DSI gather dust in a box that hasn't been used in 3 years.

6. Pantsface16
    OP

Pantsface16 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    Well that was quick...
    And informative
    I was thinking of getting the r4 but needed some background info to be sure
    Thanks!

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    the thing is, there are literally hundreds of r4 with diferent names\from diferent people...

so be carefull with the website printed on the stickers, i really recommend and wouldn't get other r4 beside the one from r4ids.cn

as for the "true" and original and first r4. it only works on the original ds..
    then lots of clones\remakes\fakes etc were made... and its a story i still don't understand much

8. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    There's not much to know.
    1. Buy a good flashcard (best option is the r4i gold 3ds rts by r4ids.cn; check the website on the product pictures!)
    2. Download the kernel from the website (the kernel is called wood) and extract the files from the archive into the root of the microsd (root means without subfolders)
    3. have fun

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I'm hoping at some point, we can just run DS games from the SD card slot. As much as I love my DSTWO, I hate how much it guzzles my battery.

migles likes this.