Hardware Fixing my broken graphics card

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hello, I'm having problems with my nvidia (novideo) gtx 750 ti graphics card. It's randomly just dying (black screens and no signal) usually when I walk away from the computer or when I'm away from it so I think this is a broken solder joint issue or something like that. I can still SSH into the system after it dies and dmesg says some things like "GPU has fallen off the bus". This has been happening for the past 6 months or even longer, sometimes dying more often and sometimes not at all but I feel like it's getting worse and I just can't live with it anymore. I thought about giving it to some service center but I couldn't really find much in Warsaw and with all this coronavirus stuff going on the service center would probably be closed and I probably won't even be able to go outside anymore. Before this I also had issues with the image freezing and random dots/squares appearing on the screen but it didn't happen often so it wasn't so bad and annoying
Is there anything I can do now? Should I try putting it in the oven myself? I can't just order a new graphics card either because I don't have much money right now and it will probably also get harder with the coronavirus stuff
I now have to use an old laptop and SSH into my computer without the graphics card for doing some heavier things and this is also pretty painful but at least it's stable and usable
Any help or advice is appreciated
Thanks, Extrasklep

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Putting it in the over will only kill it harder. Doing that will melt any plastic, possibly toast some capacitors and generally do not a lot anyway -- if you had some proper electronics fixing gear like a hot air station you would do a reflow of the chips in question and that is at best considered a super temporary fix, one I only do if it is "get me through to payday, get the data off the machine, we are in deepest darkest Africa and I need this to call a plane in".

I assume there is no onboard GPU and you don't have an old one you can stuff in there from another machine, even if it is not anything like a gaming grade one?

Reactions: IC_

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes there is no integrated GPU or video ports on the motherboard, the only way to use the computer now is over SSH or if I somehow connected a physical terminal to it but I won't get X and graphics like that
I have some super old ATI card somewhere but I'm not sure if it even works and I don't think it has the video ports I need

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself