Fix my laptop or chromebook?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Flame, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    My laptop's graphic card is dying or on the verge of being dead. I think its the graphic card, cause when I open my laptop it runs okay, until it heats up than funny white shapes start appearing. Than to the point nothing is visible.

And I'm on the fence if I should get a chromebook. If I can fix this I'll be happy for a while. Plus this laptop specs are not the worst yet IMO.

I do bit of every thing with this laptop from bit of gaming, web browsing, development, and a central hub for my other devices.

What are my options and your advice?

This my laptop

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/VGN-FW51MF/list

I'll really don't have the money ATM to get a i5/7 laptop and don't want to get a i3 laptop too.

Should I fix it or get a chromebook for the time being?

2. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I'd say fix it for now and get a new laptop later when you have the money

Flame likes this.
  3. james50a

james50a Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    james50a is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    honestly probably not your graphics card, white shapes sound more like the physical display being toast. easy way to test is if your laptop has an external port for a monitor and just hook it up (ie hdmi) to a tv or another monitor and see if it still tears after a while. if its your graphics card then your probably screwed (im assuming its an integrated card) and will have to buy a new laptop but if its your monitor then you might be able to get a new one for under 100$. find out whats wrong before hand as going to someone just to find out what the problem is costs you money, and its easy to figure out on your own.

side note avoid i3/i5 laptops like the plague. your better off just going for an amd a10 or a8 as their integrated graphics cards are much better than the intel hd series which is in most i3/i5 laptops

Flame likes this.
  4. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    Wow... Thank you both.

james50a thank you for that great idea it does have HDMI port.