Hacking Fix a failed SX Lite mod on Nintendo Switch Lite

SnoopDoge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

So I recently ordered my own SX Lite. After inspecting the package and doing my own research, I found it too risky to install SX Lite on my own Switch Lite. I'm fairly experienced with SMD rework stuff, but I found the SX Lite kit a little bit fragile. You already have small pads on the PCB to attach the kit by soldering (especially the NAND area), and I did not feel comfortable to do this mod on my "daily driver". I also have a lot e-store games and want to use the SX Lite for homebrew (emulation). So I was thinking a second Switch Lite would be best for me, to experiment with SX Lite and to prevent losing my legal games.

I stumbled upon a non-working Switch Lite for almost free, so I took the chance and bought it. Ironically, it was a non-working Switch Lite due to a botched SX Lite mod attempt. It was a mess. Bridged connections, missing components, soldering heat damage at the right speaker. After a big IPA cleanup and removing the botched SX Lite mod, I ended with a semi working Switch: everything is working, except for the screen and possibly the SD card reader. I have sound, the backlight is working, but there's no image.

• There's no visible damage at the LCD flex cable (near NAND area).
  • I cleaned up every short and bridge at the affected area's. Also checked if components where missing (like resistors and capacitors).
  • The SP1 and SP2 caps are missing from the Switch Lite, SP1 is still attached to the SX Lite PCB and SP2 was never there, The original owner probably lost that cap during installation.
  • The SP2 pad area is slightly damaged (probably too hot), but i can still pre-tin a bit of that area.
  • There was a big blob of solder covering two capacitors where you solder the SX Lite kit to the SD card reader. I removed this blob, probably with the two capacitors in it.
So I was wondering if my diagnosis makes sense. The only missing components are SP1 and SP2 and the two capacitors near the SD card soldering area. Does a missing SP1 and SP2 cap results in a black screen? If yes, does anyone has the specifications for the replacement of those 4 missing components?

It would be nice if I can revive this this Switch for almost nothing. Thank you!

Last edited by SnoopDoge,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the sp1 and sp2 dont affect screen and neither do 0401 (the big sd cap) and whatever the small one is

basically hes shorted display output with a botched install

SnoopDoge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sp1 and sp2 dont affect screen and neither do 0401 (the big sd cap) and whatever the small one is

basically hes shorted display output with a botched install

Do you know if such short damages the display module itself or the SOC? Replacement screens aren't that expensive so I'm willing to try. I could also swap displays between this broken switch and my own Switch to test the display. But I would be awesome if someone could confirm so I can avoid opening my Switch and / or making a useless purchase.

Also, do you know the capacitance of that 0401 cap? I'm assuming its to minimize inrush current so it would theoretically still work without the cap. Otherwise I'm guessing something like 10 uF would do the trick.

MaxiBus

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey,
i have a dead switch lite too, sx lite install went wrong, now the display is dead.
Did you ever tried to replace the lcd?

My issue is this one:
AK5PJGD.png

Weird thing is, i have no sound too.

PoliticallyInept

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

So I recently ordered my own SX Lite. After inspecting the package and doing my own research, I found it too risky to install SX Lite on my own Switch Lite. I'm fairly experienced with SMD rework stuff, but I found the SX Lite kit a little bit fragile. You already have small pads on the PCB to attach the kit by soldering (especially the NAND area), and I did not feel comfortable to do this mod on my "daily driver". I also have a lot e-store games and want to use the SX Lite for homebrew (emulation). So I was thinking a second Switch Lite would be best for me, to experiment with SX Lite and to prevent losing my legal games.

I stumbled upon a non-working Switch Lite for almost free, so I took the chance and bought it. Ironically, it was a non-working Switch Lite due to a botched SX Lite mod attempt. It was a mess. Bridged connections, missing components, soldering heat damage at the right speaker. After a big IPA cleanup and removing the botched SX Lite mod, I ended with a semi working Switch: everything is working, except for the screen and possibly the SD card reader. I have sound, the backlight is working, but there's no image.

• There's no visible damage at the LCD flex cable (near NAND area).
  • I cleaned up every short and bridge at the affected area's. Also checked if components where missing (like resistors and capacitors).
  • The SP1 and SP2 caps are missing from the Switch Lite, SP1 is still attached to the SX Lite PCB and SP2 was never there, The original owner probably lost that cap during installation.
  • The SP2 pad area is slightly damaged (probably too hot), but i can still pre-tin a bit of that area.
  • There was a big blob of solder covering two capacitors where you solder the SX Lite kit to the SD card reader. I removed this blob, probably with the two capacitors in it.
So I was wondering if my diagnosis makes sense. The only missing components are SP1 and SP2 and the two capacitors near the SD card soldering area. Does a missing SP1 and SP2 cap results in a black screen? If yes, does anyone has the specifications for the replacement of those 4 missing components?

It would be nice if I can revive this this Switch for almost nothing. Thank you!
It’s really not hard if you have experience. I installed my first sx light without a microscope, (not advised, but doable.) my sx core was heavy with a microscope, and I eventually pulled the sx lite and installed it onto my new oled whist on mushrooms. (Probably not advised, but doable.) My point is that if you’re experience, and especially if you have the right tools and aren’t on psychedelics, I think you’ll be fine. They’re pretty durable too seeing as I was able to install and remove them and install them again. Take your time and use mushrooms with caution and you’ll manage. I would not recommend any of this without a fair bit of experience, but I would barely consider it to be of moderate difficulty for a hobbyist with the right tool. The switches are exceptionally durable and forgiving aside from the lcd connectors. You’ve been warned lol…they’re shit. Perhaps even designed to break. With a little finesse that goes smoothly as well. Whoever botched that sx lite must have been awful as the rest of the components are well soldered, though small. For my next trick, no microscope, AND mushrooms😂. Def not. Happened to receive my oled cables after the mushrooms. Excitement got the better of me. It was fun. What’s life without some risk. I say go for it. You probably already have, but maybe someone else is wondering if they should go for it. Look at your experience, if you’ve got a fair bit, I don’t think you need to be scared. Just buy a scope. Just because it can be done without what, doesn’t make it smart. Forget the mushies 😂

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.