First time PSP modder

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by CheatingSoi, May 12, 2009.

May 12, 2009

First time PSP modder by CheatingSoi at 4:29 AM (1,228 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Ok so first off, I've had PSP's in the past. Two to be exact. I always end up getting bored with them because I just dont find the games appealing. Well, I only had 2 games but anyway, I sold my first PSP and then months later, bought another. I once again grew bored of it and also, the PSP slim was just coming out and I cannot stand having old models. A few weeks ago, I bought my friends PSP with a broken screen and ordered a new screen and repalced it. I was planning on purely making a profit on this but then i realized that the PSP would be great to have again. However, the only reason I would ever want a PSP is if it had custom firmware and it was a slim. I just cant stand the phat molde as it is obsolete, darker screens, way heavier and not as much RAM. I know that there is a PSP 3000 but at this point in time. It cannot be modded. I would like to sell this current PSP phat and my DSi and buy a PSP slim. Problem is, is that I wouldn't know if it would be modifiable,. I heard that the new slim models are not modifiable. So I'm not sure what to do there. In the meantime though, I have ordered a Pandora's Battery Tool from DealExtreme. I am going to mod the PSP phat that I have just so i can try it out and stuff. So, my question is. How do you set up the magic memory stick and also, what are my chances of buying a PSP slim that will not be hackable? How could I prevent this? Thanks

2. asuri

Member asuri GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    ~buying chances, I bought a psp from FutureShop not too long ago. It is in this box, the cardboard hills shown from the coating that endured. I am pretty sure those boxes hold the mod-able psp motherboards. Might have read this: after finding out it isnt mod-able, return it saying "oh it was a gift for my brother, unfortunately he didn't like it I think i might refund it and look for a DSi", take the money pretend to look around go out, find another store.

There are some stick-ied threads in this forum on modding, be sure to check them out.

3. Timpa

Member Timpa GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
  4. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    to make a magic memorystick google psp grader 8. let it download the 5.00 update file and click on make pandora stick ( while psp is in usb mode) then insert the pandora and hold the l trigger then release it when the menu opens and choose install 5.00 m33

5. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    This is awesome! The best things just keep happening. I really want a PSP Slim and not the Terrible conditioned PSP phat I just got, as good of a deal as it was. All of the sudden, at school during lunch, I whip out my DSi and me and my friend start playing New super mario bros mini games and all of the sudden this other guy that sits with us says hes interested in the DSi and He has a PSP slim and asked for a possible trade or at least just to see if he likes it. So today we swapped and I got his PSP slim. I checked and its Hackable so If he actually wants my ds then. On top of that. I ordered a Pandora Battery Tool from DealExtreme. I dont want to wait tho so i asked this guy that I know who knew someone with a pandoras battery and he said he didnt have it anymore but then this other guy out of nowhere saied he had one and that he would bring it to school tomorrow! This cant possibly get any better!

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    As long as it's not on 5.50 a Pandora Battery is now superfluous to requirements for CFW installation...all you need is a PSP on 5.03 OFW, ChickHen and Hellcats Recovery Flasher (plus necessary firmware eboots).

7. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    yeah, wtf, i just realized this about an hour ago. Now Im mad but happy at the same time. Only problem is, I installed 5.00 M33 6 on my phat psp. I heard 3.80 was better for phats and I do not now how to go back. Also I cant figure out how to run anything CSO's where do you put them? I cant seem to get anything to show up.

8. xist

United Kingdom
    You heard wrong. 5.00 M33-6 is the best end point for both phat's and slims. f you really want to go back, for no obvious benefits, and plenty of disadvantages (lack of speedboost, loss of access to the best popsloader, loss of compatibility to PSP games) use Hellcats Recovery flasher to flash the firmware you want.

Put CSO's in the ISO folder on your memory stick.

9. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    Err every time I ask a question I end up figuring it out a while later. Right now, the only problem I am experiencing is lag in GTA LCS and a little bit in Burnout Legends. LA Remix runs fine though. In GTA tho it is terrible. I noticed everytime it accesses the memory card (which is alot) it laggs really bad. I formatted the memory card and put everything back on and now It the psp wont find any of my files. I formated it to FAT because that is what someone said too do too speed it up. I am also a little confused on how to run popsloader.

10. xist

United Kingdom
    For the GTA games you need to have it in ISO format and pump the game clock speed up to 333Hz....they're well known "lag games".

You needn't worry about popsloader until you run into a PSX game that won't play on your native firmware's pops.