firmware update

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by chaseincats, Dec 9, 2016.

1. chaseincats
    OP

chaseincats GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Hi gang

Been a while. So I went through the motions and Luma'd my 3ds and am currently on 10.7.

I can't find any definitive answer as to how I get on the newest firmware 11.2 without messing up the cfw. Some info I've found says that you update luma via the lumaUpdater app and then just run the firmware update via 3ds settings menu.

Is that right? It just seems a bit strange

2. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    are you running menuhax or a9lh?

also, is you sysnand and emunand unlinked?

3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    If you are running a non-Gateway emuNAND, it is ALWAYS safe to update.
    If you are running Luma sysNAND through the Homebrew Launcher or Menuhax, it is NOT SAFE TO UPDATE.
    If you are running Luma sysNAND through a9lh, it is ALWAYS safe to update. On the extremely rare chance Luma doesn't work with a new update out of the box, you'll need to use the Luma Updater before updating, or use a PC to copy the new Luma files after updating.

4. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Nope, that's right. First update luma (either manually or using an updater app), then proceed to update via system settings.

Follow @Fishaman P's guidelines re: sysNAND/emuNAND and menuhax/a9lh.

5. Chrushev

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    Wait.... what if you are on a9lh on Luma and are using gateway emunand?

Whats different between gateway emunand and another emunand? And just so that we are clear, gateway emunand is the emunand that was availble when A9lh first came around?

6. chaseincats
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
  7. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Quoted from the guide itself ...

In the OP you should've initially you said you A9LH'ed your console, not Luma'd. Luma is not what's relevant, A9LH is. As long as you have A9LH installed, updating via system settings is safe.

If you followed the guide why'd you stop following it midway through, after installing Luma? There's more to be done, even after updating the FW.

Last edited by Distrance, Dec 10, 2016
  8. chaseincats
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    ah, i thought that meant only for that part of the guide, not permanently

my bad, thanks guys :P

9. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    3DS CFWs aren't actual custom firmwares, there are more custom loaders that patch the official firmware. As long as your CFW supports that OFW (Luma has done a lot of work to make sure it continues to work on future updates) and that you don't kill your entrypoint (i.e. updating sysNAND on a non-A9LH console), you're good.

10. chaseincats
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    interesting those guys are definitely more clever than I haha

11. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I don't have a Gateway, so no clue. But I do remember back in the rxTools days, when 9.6 was released the Gateway camp threw a shitfit because the Gateway team was taking an eternity to make it compatible.

EDIT: By Gateway emuNAND, I mean actually using a Gateway cartridge. Nothing about the emuNAND formatting itself.