FireFox help

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DarkShinigami, Jul 7, 2011.

Jul 7, 2011

FireFox help by DarkShinigami at 11:03 PM (973 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. DarkShinigami
    OP

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    ATM i use my parent pc with firefox 3.5 and it's got issues at first it was google but now every search engine redirects anyone have an idea as to why i get redirected when i click a link in the search engine? i tried reinstalling 3.5 but that didn't work im thinking of upgrading to 5 hoping it will fix

TBH im at the point where im gonna tell my parent fuck off fix your pc(they be bitchin at me cause they can't search for shit) im gettin to that point of irritation.

2. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What do they redirect you to?

3. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    its a random site and it aint no virus the virus software aint pickin shit up

well at the moment its workin right but later it'll be actin up. i think it could be a server issue at google,yahoo, and bing but i doubt it highly that all 3 at the same time

4. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Just check the extenstions & plugins. You will probably find one that is causing this problem. If it doesn't work then please specify which site it redirect you to.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    you said it's not a virus, but I'm still suspecting one :/

It's a usual behavior to load a different website when clicking a link (link hijacking). I got such a virus once.
    check if you have any unfamiliar program open in your task manager (usually it's taking the name of a well known software like notepad.exe, but not located in system32)

Run a spyware detection program too.
    Try IE to check if clicking links have the same behavior.

uninstall/disable addons if you have any.
    (but I think it's not addon related, more virus or adware).

6. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    I've had this same problem before and it was ongoing for ALL browsers, so extensions and plugins are not the problem.

The sites that this problem usually directs you do are random search sites that will most likely have ads that give you viruses. Somtimes, using an antivirus problem solves the problem, but most of the time that doesn't do anything to the problem at all.

It's too bad, but usually the only solution to this problem is to wait for it to resolve itself.

7. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Well reading his post I thought he already did scans & didnt find anything leaving addons as the other way this could happen but if it happens in othe browsers too then its definitly something installed in his pc. In that case you should try Malwarebytes it saved me from a similar situation before.

8. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    tis justa se you said it just stopped i hope its fixed and yeah they were random search sites ridden with virusus

i tried to use my antivirus but it did jack squat

9. bdr9

United States
    I had the same problem once, and it was actually a setting in my router. I forget which one it was though. I hope it helps.

10. Cyan

France
    It's certainly an adware running on computer boot.

You could try autoruns to check every program launch on boot.
    http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip

(if you can't click this link, try copy/past directly in the URL bar)
    download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip
    or this one to run it directly after downloading it from the net : http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Launch Autoruns, and go to "logon" tab.
    tell us if you find a weird program.
    it should be under
    - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

@bdr9 :
    A setting in the router wouldn't redirect to different random URL everytime.
    Though, I know a router can get a virus [​IMG]
    Antivirus can't check routers, only computers.

same for HOSTS file, it wouldn't be random.

11. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    alright there are a few unrecognized files in there

one is a dll called omibiberer.dll

mywebsearch

my own superhero

and guffins

12. bdr9

United States
    I am pretty sure it did. It was some kind of DNS problem.

13. Cyan

France
    •mywebsearch : I don't know this one, but I'm always against additional search bar integrated to the system or web-browser. They are changing setting of their own without asking, they are intrusive [​IMG]
    It could be the problem. if you never installed it manually, it could have been installed with another program without asking your authorization first.
    Check the "add&delete program" function in your windows config pannel and delete it.

•my own superhero (.com) redirect to facebook.
    Maybe it's an application you used and it installed something to work with facebook. I don't know if it's dangerous.

•guffins : a website for pet adoption. maybe a game, or a facebook application again?
    It shouldn't harm either.

So first uninstall mywebsearch if you can. (let me know if you can find it in the installed program list).

•Now about the dll :
    It's definitely suspect [​IMG]
    even more suspect that nothing retuns on google except your post here. It's certainly a randomly named adware.

1- In autoruns you have the path were the .dll is located.

2- Open the task manager, check if the dll program is running (same path as the dll, or a temporary path like user//temporary files/notepad.exe, or e.exe, f.exe etc. sometime both at the same time, each spying on the other one to prevent killing them both)
    I recommend using this task manager : http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip , you can see path and kill all dependence tree at once with it).

3- if present, kill the process and check if the program is launched again automatically.
    If not, you are lucky!

4- in autoruns, right-click the line of the .dll and delete it (for safety you can just untick the checkbox instead of deleting it if you ever want to enable it back).

5- in the .dll folder, delete the .dll and/or all the content

6- delete the temporary fake program if one is running in temp folder.

Sometime, deleting the program in autoruns is detected by the malware and added back, that's why you have to kill the program first.