Reactions: that girl

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@thane98 I can easily do Azura's textures, I think it's just your method of extraction where it's probably messing up.

Original extracted texture;
ikbwLK8.png

Once you get rid of the alpha mask;
wVxbxQd.png

Some sloppy recolor;
znjw5Wh.png

We reapply the alpha layer mask;
mm3J13y.png

And the end result looks pretty great ingame;
wV6Izb0.png

I'm going to be busy for the rest of the day today, but tomorrow I might make a newbie friendly tutorial for less technical users.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Extraction might be the problem with my textures - I'm consistently getting black textures every time I replace something, though I'm positive that the file recreated correctly. I'll try using your recolor and see if things look correct on my end.

Though I have to ask, what are you using to extract textures? I've used Ohana for everything that I've done so far, and it's worked perfectly for map textures.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Extraction might be the problem with my textures - I'm consistently getting black textures every time I replace something, though I'm positive that the file recreated correctly. I'll try using your recolor and see if things look correct on my end.

Though I have to ask, what are you using to extract textures? I've used Ohana for everything that I've done so far, and it's worked perfectly for map textures.
I used FEAT, dragging bch files into it gives you the textures inside the bch.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used FEAT, dragging bch files into it gives you the textures inside the bch.
I always forget about using FEAT for things besides converting between .txt and .bin.lz. I'll use that for texture extraction from now on.

After trying out your image, I can confirm that the issue was Ohana's extraction. So it looks like extracting textures using FEAT and rebuilding through the official tools is the way to go for retextures. In all honesty, that's a pretty simple process. Now if only we had something like that for models.

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah woah!! So it's relatively a simple process to replace textures?! Really hope there will be a tutorial!

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Would it be possible to use this method for face and 1st-gen characters' hair textures? I'm pretty sure the head models are just in a different location, but I'm not sure if the 1st gen hair colours stored in their character block affects their in-battle model, or if it's just the colour they pass on and their My Room model?

I know their portraits and map sprites, unlike the 2nd gen/Kamui ones, have their hair colour filled in like a normal sprite, so that's not an issue.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I might have spoken a little too soon regarding character textures - I'm still getting black textures in game. There must be something I'm missing with how I'm recompiling those textures, as I'm definitely not getting the results that others are with character textures.

That said, map texturing is working perfectly. I tried doing some more drastic recolors just to see how things would turn out in game, and the results were a lot better than I expected. I'm definitely not using the Plains of Hoshido retexture, but with some adjustments I might actually be able to do something with the Palace Macarath retexture.

If you want to see what the retextured maps look like, I went ahead and put together a small album here.

Roythekids5

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I might have spoken a little too soon regarding character textures - I'm still getting black textures in game. There must be something I'm missing with how I'm recompiling those textures, as I'm definitely not getting the results that others are with character textures.

That said, map texturing is working perfectly. I tried doing some more drastic recolors just to see how things would turn out in game, and the results were a lot better than I expected. I'm definitely not using the Plains of Hoshido retexture, but with some adjustments I might actually be able to do something with the Palace Macarath retexture.

If you want to see what the retextured maps look like, I went ahead and put together a small album here.
Palace Macarath on night looks beatiful *-*

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

Tried again, first one is kinda eh since it was basically "proof of concept", but second one is much better;
top_0008.png

This might help.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That does look a bit better than the original.

Honestly though, the black texture issue I'm running into is due to how I'm splitting the channels or how I'm performing my edits. I should probably just try making smaller edits and see how those turn out in game.

Pichi-Hime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait, so how do we do get the texture edits to work in game? i did an edit to azura for her nohr dress but now what? do i need to apply the alpha layer mask or whatever? and how do i do that?

Sir Diesalot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Sir Diesalot,

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I managed to get this to work!
http://imgur.com/4eeplUN
http://imgur.com/xskhAwI
http://imgur.com/9kGaNti
The possibilities are endless! DeathChaos, would you mind if I wrote a tutorial on how to do this? I know you provided the tools and the file sequence, and I'd take no credit at all. I just want to be able to share this with everyone. It's really neat stuff that I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in doing themselves.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Sure, if I don't have to write a tutorial the better for me.

Also make sure to remind people that they also need to edit the injured textures too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: