Modder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

I'd been playing around with custom virtual console making for the Wii since 2015, and most of the games I have injected thus far have pretty much worked fine. However, a few of them that I wanted to inject I couldn't because, well, the game I wanted to inject was bigger than the game inside the wad.

But then I saw a thread on here about something called "romc" which can supposedly compress/decompress Nintendo 64 roms so it can "fit" inside the wad file. Incidentally, the games I wanted to inject are for the N64. But both download links in that thread are broken.

Does anyone have this file anymore? Or is it lost to the sands of time?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
romc

That's not how it is, replacing a rom bigger than the source has never been an issue, unless it's an unsupported size by the emulator.
The compression in later N64 VC titles as well as other VC platforms is required to get the game recognized. I've used romc + wszst with no problems. You must edit the title ID in the rom's header to the base rom to avoid a crash when opening the home menu, I think this only applies to the last few releases.

Reactions: SaulFabre and erket

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Could you tell me how do i use romc from your download link?
For use it, in the CMD, write:
For compress any ROM to romc: romc e [input_ROM] [outputed_ROM] - Example: romc e Mario64.n64 romc
For uncompress any romc to ROM: romc d [input_ROM] [outputed_ROM] - Example: romc d romc Mario64.n64

Reactions: erket

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
romc

That's not how it is, replacing a rom bigger than the source has never been an issue, unless it's an unsupported size by the emulator.
The compression in later N64 VC titles as well as other VC platforms is required to get the game recognized. I've used romc + wszst with no problems. You must edit the title ID in the rom's header to the base rom to avoid a crash when opening the home menu, I think this only applies to the last few releases.
@SuperrSonic I saw you're using the combination of tools romc + wszst with no trouble when loading on N64 VC :)
But what of these tools do you use first and what tool do you use second? And what are the commands you use on romc and wszst?
Because I tried these commands below and the new ROM injected into a new VC WAD but it crashed even before the Classic Controller notice appear... :( Any help @SuperrSonic? Thanks a lot!!!
1. romc.exe e rom_name.z64 new_romc.z64
2. wszst.exe com new_romc.z64 (PD: this command generated me a new file called new_romc.szs and enamed to z64 and injected in a new VC WAD but crashed)

Reactions: Alexander1970

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
But what of these tools do you use first and what tool do you use second? And what are the commands you use on romc and wszst?
Because I tried these commands below and the new ROM injected into a new VC WAD but it crashed even before the Classic Controller notice appear... :( Any help @SuperrSonic? Thanks a lot!!!
1. romc.exe e rom_name.z64 new_romc.z64
2. wszst.exe com new_romc.z64 (PD: this command generated me a new file called new_romc.szs and enamed to z64 and injected in a new VC WAD but crashed)
It has been some time since I've used those tools but that second step is not ringing any bells.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o