NULL

Find Old PS2, need help

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Escorpion, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Escorpion
    OP

Escorpion Balamb Seed

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Laguna Guatavita
    Hi everyone.
    I want to know what you recommend me to do with this console, i love it and i want to play everything on it. Please check the pictures to know the version of the play, the region (Pal), and the firmware version.
    Uhmmm, the disc rider is blocked up, is there a trick to open it ? like on the xbox 360 when u kick the top and it get´s open?
    Psdt: i don´t know if it has a modded chip, in advance, i don´t know even if it is softmoded (that´s my goal to do with the console)... i will like to not play with disc as i see it has 2 usb ports, if it is no possible never mind, i would play with discs... any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have hacked a few consoles in my life, like some Wii´s, 3ds and my own Wii U, so maybe i can with this if someone here help me.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Escorpion, Jan 5, 2019
  2. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like you need to take it apart and figure out what the issue is then fix it. https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/PlayStation_2_Troubleshooting

As for what you can do I'd recommend Free McBoot. It's super easy to get it running.

Also if you want to spend a little extra money and make your PS2 a multi console then check this out

Last edited by DrGreed, Jan 6, 2019 - Reason: forgot link.
    Escorpion likes this.
  3. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    You can hold L1, L2, R1, and R2 while booting the ps2. You’ll come to a “recovery menu” if you have a chip installed.

There is some progress that retroarch coming to ps2.

4. lafleche

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    Free Mcboot is the way to go.
    - First you need a Network Adapter for your ps2 (you can have an original one but then you need an old IDE harddisk, you can also buy a non-original which support SATA)
    - then you need a way to connect the harddisk to your pc (some IDE-2-USB or SATA-2-USB device) because you need some way to copy your backups to that harddisk.
    - Some software tools like winhiip to copy your backups to the harddisk

As for free mcboot : Easiest is that you find someone with free mcboot already who can make a copy for you....... or -and that was how I did it- use 'Free HD boot'.
    In short: you write a 'bootable' version of mcboot to your harddisk, after putting that harddisk in your ps2 it will boot into "free mcboot", then you can create a Free McBoot memory card (which is much faster) and after that you can erase 'the Free HD boot' and start filling up your harddisk with backups with winhiip.

the Youtube video by mrmario2011 explains everything in good detail.

5. supersega

supersega Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    A place in a place
    FreeMCBoot is the best option, do what the others say. For the disc tray being stuck, take apart the top of the unit, remove top plastic drive cover, and slide the plastic box manually down/over to get the sled to release and pull out whatever stuck game is in there.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The USB ports are only USB 1.1, which means compatibility when running games from USB is limited. Best is to use a network adapter with an internal hard drive.

Ryccardo and slaphappygamer like this.
  7. supersega

supersega Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    A place in a place
    You mean an internal drive to run the games off of, correct?

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yeah.

NULL