Hacking Finally PAL N64 in 480p

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a little project ive been playing with for a while as part of 0RANGECHiCKEN. Like a lot of PAL wii owners I really cant see why we are stuck with 576i when it comes to N64 VC. So ive made it my mission to get N64 running at 480p

Well today I had success, still ironing out some things, but I can confirm it is possible for official N64 VC to play in PAL60 480p
smile.gif
So far ive been playing Zelda: ocarina Master Quest and Wave Race in 480p (yes master quest works perfectly, sound/speed/video)

It has to be done manually by replacing and adding files, so no there wont be any 'tool' to do it sorry. Also any ppf patch wont really be viable as most app files in the wad need changing, also the rom file used needs to be the (U) version.

Thats about it for now, but I'm sure there will be many PAL wii owners who would be excited about this like me.

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
herculean1982 said:
have you got mario golf? that runs like crap on my wii.

This method will get ALL OFFICIAL N64 VC running smooth at 480p or 480i on a PAL wii. As I've only just finished ironing out some problems with home button stuff I've only made Wave Race and Master Quest

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
bow.gif

Way to go stev418!!

Since my t.v. is multi, I just used any region changer to turn my PAL Wii into an NTSC Wii, and everything, including GC games work great.

But I´m sure there are many who have t.v.´s that aren´t multi who will love this. If it weren´t for any region changer, I´d be checking this one out for sure!

Keep up the great work!!

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
You mean just change the TV Type to run in PAL60 in the 01.app. Then just inject the US rom data files into the EU 05.app?

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RadioShadow said:
You mean just change the TV Type to run in PAL60 in the 01.app. Then just inject the US rom data files into the EU 05.app?

No, I don't video patch the 01.app, that doesnt work for N64 wads as even NTSC N64 ones are forced to 50hz. So what I did was use the files from the PAL sin and punishment, but replace the 05.app with the 05.app of an NTSC N64 wad. After that you need to remove some of the stuff for home button, and instead use the files from the sin&punish 05.app. Of course you also replace the 00.app. There may be other ways to to it, but so far this is what ive got to work. Quite easy really, but last time I tried something like this I was getting an 'echo' in audio, but I think that time I had the (U) rom in the PAL 05.app.

Rundown:
  • Use 01.app, 03.app, 04.app, 06.app of PAL sin&pun wad
  • Use 05.app, 00.app from NTSC wad
  • Correct game ID in your .tmd, .tik
  • Delete/paste home button files as below shows
Files I deleted from the NTSC 05.app :
  • All - Errors_VC64ErrorStrings_xx.bin files
  • All - saveComments_saveComments_xx.bin files
Files I copy from PAL sin&punish 05.app to NTSC 05.app:
  • home.csv
  • home_nosave.csv
  • Both - saveComments_saveComments_xx.bin files
If these files aren't changed you will get a freeze on pressing home button in game.

Side note: I also use the 06.app 07.app (and .tmd) from the newer VC so I can put LZ77 compression on the 01.app and get a nice space saving on blocks, but that's another story
wink.gif

stev418 - 0RANGECHiCKEN

Reactions: CatmanFan

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Man pitty ive no clue what you are on about...lets hope some one converts all the pal stuff to 480p and ups em some where id do it if i knew how ive all the crappy pal versions........

0RANGECHiCKEN *cough* official *cough* soon

UPDATE: Just playing with mario golf atm, seems a problem, but i think it may be simple fix, hopefully something to do with the romc compression. I will have more of look at this later.

malverns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WOAH... TESTED 100% working

this actually works, i was pretty skeptical at first but i have just installed ocarina masterquest and it works at FULLSPEED...

before it was OKish but it wasnt as fast as this...

great work man.... looking forward for the original ocarina of time
wink.gif

thanks again!

keep up the good work

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
stev418 said:
RadioShadow said:

No, I don't video patch the 01.app, that doesnt work for N64 wads as even NTSC N64 ones are forced to 50hz. So what I did was use the files from the PAL sin and punishment, but replace the 05.app with the 05.app of an NTSC N64 wad. After that you need to remove some of the stuff for home button, and instead use the files from the sin&punish 05.app. Of course you also replace the 00.app. There may be other ways to to it, but so far this is what ive got to work. Quite easy really, but last time I tried something like this I was getting an 'echo' in audio, but I think that time I had the (U) rom in the PAL 05.app.

Rundown:
  • Use 01.app, 03.app, 04.app, 06.app of PAL sin&pun wad
  • Use 05.app, 00.app from NTSC wad
  • Correct game ID in your .tmd, .tik
  • Delete/paste home button files as below shows
Files I deleted from the NTSC 05.app :
  • All - saveComments_saveComments_xx.bin files
Files I copy from PAL sin&punish 05.app to NTSC 05.app:
  • home.csv
  • home_nosave.csv
  • Both - saveComments_saveComments_xx.bin files
If these files aren't changed you will get a freeze on pressing home button in game.

Side note: I also use the 06.app 07.app (and .tmd) from the newer VC so I can put LZ77 compression on the 01.app and get a nice space saving on blocks, but that's another story
wink.gif

stev418 - 0RANGECHiCKEN

Well unless my theory is incorrect, the 01.app has both the NTSC and PAL50 options in. If the Wii is set to run in 'PAL' mode, then it will run the PAL settings (50Hz) and if it is set to 'NTSC', it will run the NTSC settings (60Hz). So you would just need to change the 'PAL' TV settings to make the N64 run the US rom at the correct framerate if the 'Wii' is set to PAL mode.

Still, your method is better and does mean the N64 WAD will run in PAL 60Hz. Just if you want to use the EU manual, you will have to extract the file from the 05.app.

stev418

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, yes if your wii is actually set to 'ntsc video' with anyregionchanger you will get 60hz, but that will break other pal games. Also if all video options in 01.app are set to PAL60 or NTSC, the game will sit on a black screen on 480 constantly trying to flick to 576i.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.