files won't play from External HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ShadowSoldier, Feb 2, 2011.

Feb 2, 2011
  1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    So I have an External HDD. It's a Cavalry CAUM37500. It's only a 500 gb.

My friend has.. don't know what model, but it's a 1 terabyte, but its still from Cavalry.

Anyways, I went over there, and we decided, instead of wasting up our monthly bandwidth of internet downloading stuff, we'll just trade from our hard drives. So we did just that. I took some shows, not movies. He took some movies and shows.

But we noticed that during the swapping, some files couldn't be swapped. Don't know why, but they didn't. But we just said screw it, and just continued swapping with what we could.

So I get home, and I plug my HDD back into my computer. And these are the shows that I got from his HDD, which work perfectly fine on his computer. We also both use Windows XP:

Chobits
    Dragon Ball Z Remastered
    Pokemon.

I try playing these files, and the light on my HDD (it's blue and it says Cavalry), just constantly blinks every 1-2 seconds. It goes bright, then the light shuts off completely. And it just does that. So I just turn my HDD off and turn it back on. Tried all my files, and they work perfectly.

I use VLC, because as far as I know, that's played every single file type I had (mpeg, avi, divx, wmv, etc...). But these just don't work. They work fine on his computer, but not mine.

I've tried playing the files with Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player as well. Did not work.
    Little help?

2. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Have you tried copying these problem files to your hard drive?
    I've had trouble with VLC playing network files a while ago, not sure if they've fixed that already.

Else could be a problem with the hard drive. Also want to mention to backup everything just in case.

3. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    Everything else is working just fine. All of teh stuff I had downloaded on it, play it. I'm watching House right now. It's just his files alone. But yet they work just fine on his computer...

4. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Didn't really answer my question did you?
    Unless that fits under everything else. In which case you need to be more specific.

5. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    I can't copy them to the hard drive.

A couple weeks ago, the hard drive fell on the floor. But everything still worked just fine. Now most files will play, some will play but then corrupt, and others won't play at all. Like, I can't delete a season of Pokemon because apparently the destination folder is not empty...

So basically, I have a fucked hard drive. Most stuff works that was already on there, new stuff will not work.