Filenames changing?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by justmike, Nov 3, 2008.

Nov 3, 2008

Filenames changing? by justmike at 4:02 PM (626 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. justmike
    OP

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Would anyone know why this happened?

0138-S~1? This file used to be called 0138 - Scooby-doo! Unmasked

Or

Hamsterz Life (U) to this 0730-H~1?

Brain training was also effected... 0396-B~1

Any help?

Also, when I try to rename them, it will go back to the name again... Same on the computer, but it seems to work when I rename them using DSorganiser!

2. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    I have had your issue in the past. Stop using DSorganize for file renaming, deletion, copy, or creation operations(anything that edits the file table), but it's okay to use it for file edits. Its imperfect libfat makes it often put the names of random files or folders into 8.3 mode(short filenames), and there have been reports of outright file corruptions when moving or copying files.

It goes back to the name because the filesystem cannot distinguish between the two name formats(on FAT/FAT32 every file has two names: a short one "0138-S~1" and a long one "0138 - Scooby-doo! Unmasked") and DSorganize and even Windows will believe that you haven't changed the name at all, so they won't even bother trying. To work around this issue rename the file to something completly different like "A" or "B"(resets the second name) THEN rename it back to its old, long name.

3. justmike
    OP

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Thanks, I thought DSO was the cause!