Gaming File Sharing Question for XP Professional

Arch Feline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With help (thanx Rydian) my computer is faster and the DVD-rom admits that it is a DVD-rom. The computer still has issue but I think that I have pinpointed a problem. I think that there are tasks which the Administrator can only do when file sharing is turned off.

I am planning to turn off file sharing but I only want this to be temporary. I want to be able to have multiple power accounts and I want to have a folder of shared files available on the network. My question is two fold.

#1 Is it possible - that the reason why system files such as msconfig change back to read only after I uncheck the read only - is due to file sharing and that removing the file sharing will let the "Administrator" account own the system files and allow the "Administrator" to remove the read only and in particular change msconfig to do a clean boot?

#2 Will I be able to change back to shared files afterward?

Arch Feline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to modify msconfig (that is, set up a clean boot) I get "An access denied error was returned when attempting to change a service. You may need to log on with an administrator account."

I was thinking that taking ownership of msconfig will fix that problem and taking ownership requires ending file sharing.

Arch Feline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the new account. Why do you say that having the files shared is not the problem? I realize my perspective is likely flawed. It seems to me that on a computer without shared files one can own a file. On a computer with shared files the security tab is not accessible. It just seems that even if I do not need to own msconfig to modify msconfig, that sharing msconfig is basically inimical with modifying msconfig.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)