FFVIII Trouble

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Jamstruth, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010

FFVIII Trouble by Jamstruth at 2:08 PM (2,979 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Its a bit ironic that I wrote the guide on making PS1 games into eboots and I'm asking for help but its mainly because its a multi-disk eboot where I've had to change the game ID (something I haven't done before)

FFVIII on PSP, I have the disks all patched up (since its the PAL version) and ready to roll (I have run Disk 1 on my PSP) but I'm just having trouble with the disk switching. I compiled with 4 disks so the Eboot is 2.06gb but POPSloader does not show the disk switch option when I bring up the menu. I assume this has something to do with the GameID setup. What GameIDs do I change to the SLPS-02180 value to avoid draw locking issues? I changed the main game ID and not the ones on each disk and can't switch disks, can't remember whether I changed all of them before that or not though.

2. dirty_harry

Member dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    All I can tell you is, FFVIII on the PSP is a bitch right now. We need pops 6.20 to run it properly (the PSN version that is) but we don't have pops 6.20. So it crashes when you do certain things, like cast draw SCAN on a foe, when the SHELL spell is cast, and a few other things. It's playable and completable, if you never draw SCAN. That's not a problem at all personally. Again, this is all the PSN version. Look into that, Jam.

3. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I know that we need 6.20 pops to run properly, as far as I know using the different game ID fixes draw lock problems and the game is quite playable on 3.90 upwards although there are still lag issues. Unfortunately pops has changed too much in 6.20 for it to ever be implemented into 5.50GEN [​IMG]

I'd rather use my own disk images than pirating.

4. dirty_harry

Member dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Theoretically though, owning the original disks equates to owning the PSN version - sort of. But yeah I know that it wont get any better as it is. Wait for a 6.20 pops, play the laggy and problematic PSX convert, play the slightly buggy PSN version, or update to 6.20OFW and buy the game for 16 dollars. You can also find a few good places where others have already made the PSX convert eboot, working decently.

5. Okami Wolfen

Member Okami Wolfen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's the difference?

And wait, 16 dollars? I thought it was ten?

6. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cba updating to buy a game that I already own. The way I see it the PSX convert is better than the PSN version as the game ID fixes most bugs other than a bit of lag but that is besides the point. I want to know how I change the game ID correctly to get my multi-disc setup working.

Edit: Trying a different method of changing each ISO's ID, will update my sticky to include a guide on multi-disk ID changing if it works No such luck. Ways tried so far:
    Changing just main game ID to SLPS-02180
    Changing all disk IDs to a systematic increase of this (Disk 1: SLPS-02180, Disk 2: SLPS-12180 etc.)

7. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    Double post, I know but have found out that its a problem with my popsloader...I can't switch disks on anything other than Original Popsloader from flash... I have the old bug fix for this in my files already so I am confused.

8. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Read the compatibility list, it tells you everything you need to know. I didn't play it as a single eboot though, so maybe that's your problem.

And really, is switching disks that much of a hassle? It's not like you will go back to the earlier ones, it takes absolutely no more effort either way.

9. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    *Facepalm* I'm an idiot. The option's greyed out cause you can't use it until the game sends a disk switch request. The older versions of pops don't show which disk you're on by the option either. If I clikc on reset I can reset to any disk. Stupid brain-fart...
    Delete thread please if anybody bothers to look

10. Okami Wolfen

United States
    For further reference, there is a thread on another forum talking about FF8.

http://www.maxconsole.net/forums/showthrea...0945&page=1

11. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Hey this is kinda off topic while it's still related to the topic.

FFVIII + PSN + Original Discs but PS3 instead of PSP [​IMG]

I have the original "black label" discs of FF VIII, PAL version, and it wouldn't run before ( I don't have the discs here, they're at my girlfriends house) so I wonder now that it's released on PSN, does it work now? Or do I have to buy a new version of it, downloaded, just to be able to play it?

It's supposed to work with the NTSC version and the Platinum version of PAL... but not the original... :'(

anyone got a clue?

12. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It will work fine if you buy it from PSN and are running the current official firmware. For everybody with hacked firmware it plays great if you follow the compatibility instructions that Okami Wolfen just quoted.

13. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    FFVIII PAL version does not work on the PS3 due to an extremem oversight by Sony in making the emulator, the PAL version of FFVIII has Piracy Protection while the NTSC version doesn't, as a result Sony didn't put the support for the protection into the emulator and us EU gamers are left out.

I've thought about e-mailing Sony about this and asking for it to be looked at and support added but I don't reckon they'd listen but hey, maybe I should.

14. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Yeah, I've actually seen that info before on the official ps3 compatibility list from sony, so they do know about the problem [​IMG] I wonder why they won't give a damn.
    I really think they should add the support! I just wish some online petition would actually get attention from sony [​IMG] It sucks [​IMG]

15. Okami Wolfen

United States
    Alright, now I'm the one who needs help with this game.

I'm running CWF Enable 3.7 on a 3000. Final Fantasy VII and IX worked perfectly for me, but not VIII. I changed the ID, created a multiboot, and it just freezes and goes to a black screen when I play. This forced me to reset and do ChickHEN all over again. Now, none of my PSX games work, including FF7&9.

Halp?

16. Lortamios

Banned Lortamios Banned

United States
    Final Fantasy [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom

You need to change the ID on each disk and the save ID to SLPS02180 and you have to use pops 4.01. Search for a pre-made popsloader pack for ease of use, copy to memory stick and activate in recovery mode. Then when you boot FFVIII hold the R button until a screen of text comes up, select 4.01 and you're done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.