Few questions before purchasing gateway.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pwners, Dec 15, 2013.

1. pwners
    OP

pwners Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    Just need a few confirmation before purchasing gateway...

1) As of the latest firmware, does the 1 game per micro sd card still applies?

2) If yes, why do people purchase 16gb sd cards when a 4gb would be the optimal one? Also do the limitations apply for DS game as well? Would you guys suggest buying another flashcart , 1 to play ds games and 1 to play 3ds game?

3) From my understanding, I can update my firmware from 4.4 to 4.5 using roms that requires such firmware to play ( games like pokemon mystery dungeon etc) from gateway without using the real copy of the game right?

4) Can I save the game normally like how I do when I have the real copy of the game? Or do I have to do it differently?

5) Any idea where is the best place to buy them from if I am from Asia? I have seen many people stating websites to buy from in USA and Europe but none from Asia lol..

Thanks for all of your help!

2. logon

logon GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2008
    New Zealand
    1. Yes 1 rom per micro sd
    2. (The team said it should support 32gb when they add multirom support)
    3. Yes you can
    4. Different: You have to save and then when you have finished you have to press the home button then close.
    If you turn off your 3ds without doing this it won't save
    5. Sorry can't help you there
    5 Edit: personally I would go with something like http://www.nds-card.com/index.asp because you want to go with a reseller you can trust

3. pwners
    OP

pwners Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    ^Thank you for your fast response! Do the limitations apply for DS roms as well?

4. logon

logon GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2008
    New Zealand
    It comes with a ds flashcard
    1. Multirom on the ds flashcard is supported
    2. Alot of people suggest buying another flashcard. Personally I've barely used it. maybe someone else should respond

5. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    The DS card is nothing special. Doesn't look like it can be upgraded because of the modified firmware, it will only work basically on firmware 4.5 or probably emuNAND. I tried on my 6.xx 3DS and it wouldn't work.

If all you're looking for is a card to play DS roms then it works fine for what it does. If you want more fancy features like playing GBA roms as well, you'll need a better card.

6. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    If you know how to read Chinese, taobao is definitely the best place to purchase a gateway since it's a China ebay. It costs around $58 USD, much cheaper than anywhere else.

7. pwners
    OP

pwners Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    ^Can you pm me the link to the one you purchased from? Yes I can read Chinese as well! Thanks!

8. pwners
    OP

pwners Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    Yes all I am looking for is to play DS rom on my 3DS as well. So it would work as well as any of the other ds flash carts?

9. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Correct. The Gateway blue cartridge that plays DS games is limited up to firmware version 6.1. If you have the cash, I would suggest a Supercard DSTwo for those means as it has much more to offer in conjunction with the Gateway, but again, thats assuming your wallet is deep. ;) And going by your flag location of the United States, I would actually suggest ordering from Real Hot Stuff, which is based here in the United States. Chinese shipping at this point in time is not recommended simply because it is the holiday season and the courier services are already flogged down making deliveries in time for Christmas. Expect a delay for several additional weeks if you do order from overseas.

10. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
  11. hypertek

hypertek Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    United States
    I bought a 32gb micro sd for my gateway 3ds card. Now I did use that for the blue card which is the ds card for a bit. Threw a few ds roms on it, and it worked fine. So i ordered a seperate cheap 8gb micro sd that I will use souly for ds roms (there are a few ds games i would like to play through). And i also ordered a 16gb microsd for a 2nd 3ds game.

It is a bit annoying swapping out a single 3ds rom on just 1 microsd for now, but just think, this thing will pay itself off =)

Once they crack multirom, it will be all gravy. =)