Hacking Feeling conflicted about Wii U dumps

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm creating this thread because I need some feedback. With the advent of the Wii U being hacked in such a way to allow backups to be run in a matter of six or so months after release, I'm conflicted. Yes, I admit to having a hacked Wii and vWii mode in the Wii U itself. I'm trying to find out why I'm unable to accept the fact that the complete hacking of the Wii U is inevitable, and why I've been so confrontational about hacking teams announcing that game dumps have been or are going to be released in the near future.

I had no problem when I hacked the Wii, I was very excited, but now with the Wii U game dumps, I don't know HOW I'm supposed to feel.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm creating this thread because I need some feedback. With the advent of the Wii U being hacked in such a way to allow backups to be run in a matter of six or so months after release, I'm conflicted. Yes, I admit to having a hacked Wii and vWii mode in the Wii U itself. I'm trying to find out why I'm unable to accept the fact that the complete hacking of the Wii U is inevitable, and why I've been so confrontational about hacking teams announcing that game dumps have been or are going to be released in the near future.

I had no problem when I hacked the Wii, I was very excited, but now with the Wii U game dumps, I don't know HOW I'm supposed to feel.
Listening to people saying, "It is dead, it is dead" and you and I don't want that. However, you've read the arguments for/against homebrew, and for/against piracy, and the "Myths of piracy" so I actually think this is good. It will live/die on it's own as I believe 90+% (gut based on what others have sited) will not even play with HBC or piracy. Especially when it involves opening up the system to install WiiUkey (void warranty), and takes SOME ability. When I see most families cannot even repair their own computer, I do not fear piracy jumping out beyond what 360/Wii/PS3 are. Interesting to see whatn PS3 sales went up/down as I know Wii and 360 sales went up. Even just craigslist, people don't want something, THEN suddenly all the Wii and 360 stuff is GOBBLED up.

You've seen how heated this stuff gets. I BELIEVE you don't want this to kill the Wii U. I hate when nobody has balls to comment in my threads about the Wii U nand (eMMC) or disc drive firmware questions. OR about a "hack bounty" idea taken from other scenes (namely Android phones).

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listening to people saying, "It is dead, it is dead" and you and I don't want that. However, you've read the arguments for/against homebrew, and for/against piracy, and the "Myths of piracy" so I actually think this is good. It will live/die on it's own as I believe 90+% (gut based on what others have sited) will not even play with HBC or piracy. Especially when it involves opening up the system to install WiiUkey (void warranty), and takes SOME ability. When I see most families cannot even repair their own computer, I do not fear piracy jumping out beyond what 360/Wii/PS3 are. Interesting to see whatn PS3 sales went up/down as I know Wii and 360 sales went up. Even just craigslist, people don't want something, THEN suddenly all the Wii and 360 stuff is GOBBLED up.

You've seen how heated this stuff gets. I BELIEVE you don't want this to kill the Wii U. I hate when nobody has balls to comment in my threads about the Wii U nand (eMMC) or disc drive firmware questions. OR about a "hack bounty" idea taken from other scenes (namely Android phones).

I need to confess, I have downloaded games for other systems; granted, said games for those systems are no longer being manufactured and are not generating revenue, but under the law, it's piracy. Personally, my stance is that what people do in their homes is their business and you're absolutely right, I doubt more than 10 or so percent of Wii U owners will actually pirate and/or hack their own consoles. Who knows, I may be part of that minority. I don't know why I flipped out like I did, I had no reason to. I've already hacked the Wii U's Wii mode, so by me going above and beyond to rip on the team who did this brands me as a hypocrite, therefore, I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. I seriously doubt this will doom the Wii U, Nintendo or its third parties to oblivion. Who knows, maybe we'll even see some nice retro emulators on the Wii U someday.

AgentChet

Trunks, The Man.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason why I would buy the Wii U is if I could hack it. Not for piracy reasons; but because I find it fun to hack stuff. Its just in me. So; If the hack was to be release, it would increase sales of the Wii U (or at least 1 sale *me* :D )
Nintendo should be happy that they would get a sale if they just let it be hacked :P

Update: Let me also add for those who think I lied about the piracy; why are you on the internet in the first place if all you are gonna do is try to say someone is lying?

If you say I lied; I say you lied. Why? Because you just did is why.

No; I am not a pirate; i just like playing around the system settings... Geez. I own the original copy of my Games with money I earned with chores and cutting grass. Most of the time I don't even consider myself a hacker because I don't do code for systems. I just use what others already invented. They are the hackers; I'm just a guy who likes playing around in the settings.

I'm a honest person.
Can a hacker (or a guy who likes to play around the settings) be honest and truthful?

Are you still alive and reading this? OK hahaha. Don't answer that.. 0_0

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your last post made no sense. Expound.

Jiehfeng, use the EDIT button. Kthx

Sorry, I did use it for my last post though, I just wanted the thread to stay alive.

I'll use this post if no one posts k?

YAY! The first episode of the tree house.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As far as ability goes, since this is a solderless chip it should really only be plugging some ribbon cables in which doesn't take that much ability

Reactions: Rydian

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP, maybe because pretty much right out of the gate with the Wii, it did great. It was so incredibly successful right from the start that maybe you didn't feel that Nintendo would honestly be truly harmed with releases hitting the scene and people pirating games.

Fast forward to today and the situation with the Wii U is very, VERY different. It's gotten pretty beat up in the press for future games not coming out and there's so much Nintendo doom and gloom that this doesn't honestly help that scenario get any better. I really want to see Nintendo succeed and this could be viewed as something to really deter that from happening. I'm not saying it will, but it could...

Reactions: Ray Lewis

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they do need people to purchase games at this time. They can't do well on console sales alone. Sad to see it happen this early but eh.
The ability to modify the console can definitely boost sales of the console, but at the cost of game sales which is a lot. Hell, about 4 or 5 retail games equals the price of a WiiU basic set (iirc)

But again it only affects those that are in the know or go on the internet regularly enough to find this stuff out. I've only met one other person in person that already knew that the Wii and NDS could be "hacked" to play ROMs and ISOs.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they do need people to purchase games at this time. They can't do well on console sales alone. Sad to see it happen this early but eh.
The ability to modify the console can definitely boost sales of the console, but at the cost of game sales which is a lot. Hell, about 4 or 5 retail games equals the price of a WiiU basic set (iirc)

But again it only affects those that are in the know or go on the internet regularly enough to find this stuff out. I've only met one other person in person that already knew that the Wii and NDS could be "hacked" to play ROMs and ISOs.

Yes, a very low percentage of users will actually modify their consoles to play pirated game and/or homebrew especially when it is a hardmod

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, a very low percentage of users will actually modify their consoles to play pirated game and/or homebrew especially when it is a hardmod
Even then, I saw stats cited about "This many installed HBC" and "This many committed piracy" and people write like this is going to be 90% for PIRACY. Sure, if that is the HISTORICAL TREND, I guess that would kill anything. One guy cited Dreamcast but another person had great points. Sega was dying anyway for hardware. Piracy seemed to come MOSTLY after it was dead. I know people who bought it for this reason, lmfao. That does not prove anything though. I see nothing to indicate this will harm the Wii U other than gut feelings.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you have to remember not everyone knows about this people will still buy games and a lot of the peeps who have the wiikey will still buy the game to rip to the hdd since they can't or won't download 20gb+ files.

people still buy brd even though their ripped and available to download i have quite a nice collection myself and i admit i'm a pirate
smileypirate.gif

momocop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same quarrels as you. I want to believe in the Wii U which is why I am standing by it. I have hacked my vWii and Wii and have modded my Wii to the teeth. The problem is, I was actually devoting myself to spend money on games instead of pirating them. It is sad to see it getting all this gloom and now with WiiKey "entering" the scene, who knows what can happen to the system.

I am worried about piracy because of the fact that it did affect the Wii. The Wii sold almost 95m+ units and about which maybe 1-2 million units were modded. That may seem like a really small amount of piracy but the main thing is game sales. 1% of Consoles were modded but that 1 million modders are now a loss to the developers because not many games cant get more then 10 million sales. So now it becomes a big chunk of game sale profits.

Ofcourse, there are some games that just sell themselves such as Zelda, Mario, and SSBB but everything else will always be a victim.

When the WiiUkey get a full introduction then I will buy another WiiU, One for modding and testing games, and one for my actual game and online. I can imagine it go through the same stages as the PS3 and 360, where playing online can lead to small chance in being banned.

Oh Nintendo ~

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same quarrels as you. I want to believe in the Wii U which is why I am standing by it. I have hacked my vWii and Wii and have modded my Wii to the teeth. The problem is, I was actually devoting myself to spend money on games instead of pirating them. It is sad to see it getting all this gloom and now with WiiKey "entering" the scene, who knows what can happen to the system.

I am worried about piracy because of the fact that it did affect the Wii. The Wii sold almost 95m+ units and about which maybe 1-2 million units were modded. That may seem like a really small amount of piracy but the main thing is game sales. 1% of Consoles were modded but that 1 million modders are now a loss to the developers because not many games cant get more then 10 million sales. So now it becomes a big chunk of game sale profits.

Ofcourse, there are some games that just sell themselves such as Zelda, Mario, and SSBB but everything else will always be a victim.

When the WiiUkey get a full introduction then I will buy another WiiU, One for modding and testing games, and one for my actual game and online. I can imagine it go through the same stages as the PS3 and 360, where playing online can lead to small chance in being banned.

Oh Nintendo ~

I never got banned for playing Mario Kart Wii with a modded console; they only banned you if you were cheating with items or other forms of unfair advantage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol