Fastest Class SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by codezer0, Apr 17, 2010.

Apr 17, 2010

Fastest Class SD card? by codezer0 at 1:49 PM (3,502 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    First, my old lappy, and now this.

In short, was trying to be nice to the wii (and myself) by getting a faster, high(er) capacity SD card. Initially was using a 2GB Wii-branded Sandisk one.

Recently bought a Transcend 4GB Class 10 card.

Going into the SD menu, the Wii only recognized the images of about half of my VC games, and refused to load every single one of them... and soon after, decided to corrupt the data just enough that I lose ALL of them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, besides trying to find the wads for all the games I did want to keep/have bought legit, what IS the fastest class of SD that I can put in the wii without it doing this to me again? [​IMG]

2. NoBot

Newcomer NoBot Member

Germany
    The fastest class I have seen is class 45, but I'm pretty sure class 10 (minimum 10 MByte/s Mbit/s write speed on best conditions) is by far more than the wii can actually use. Of course you can use cards with much higher speeds but the Wii won't use those higher speeds.

Edit: Games you have bought can always be redownloaded from the shop channel.

3. codezer0
    OP

United States
    For me, the most I'd seen were un-"class"ed cards, Class 2, 4, 6, and then it just seemed to skip 8 and go right to 10.

Now you have me wondering where this Class 45 exists [​IMG] Are you sure that was not just "up to" 45MB/sec? As I understood it, the "Class" numbers for SD(HC) were meant to be a MINIMUM throughput, and not an "up to" number like USB.

I'm just mad that I tried to buy this super fast card for it and the Wii spazzes out on it. Thankfully do have a digital camera proper for it, but was really hoping to benefit from the faster speed and storage.

4. NoBot

Newcomer NoBot Member

Germany
    I made a mistake in my earlier post: Class 10 is 10 MByte/s (not 10 Mbit/s).

I think classes 2, 4, 6 and 10 are the only ones that are officially specified, but because they follow a certain scheme other classes like 45 can still be used. I don't know if you can actually buy a class 45 card at the moment, but they seem to exist.

Wikipedia says:
    This means a class 10 card is able to write 10 MByte/s or more under perfect conditions. (Of course it also supports lower speeds.)

5. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Maybe so, but doesn't seem to very well.

In which case, I guess now the question is what is the fastest speed that the Wii will support without going apeshit and screwing up the data?

6. NoBot

Newcomer NoBot Member

Germany
    I was trying to say that your sd card can be too slow, but not too fast. The Wii decides which speed it uses and simply doesn't take advantage of high speed cards, because it can't. Actually even slow cards work. Whether a card works or not doesn't depend on its speed at all. Most cards work an some just don't.

7. svin83

Newcomer svin83 Newbie

Norway

The Wii doesn't seem to like all sdhc cards. Some work great, and some just won't...
    Earlier, none of the sdhc cards worked but after one of the system menu updates they added support for it...