Hacking Faster than FTP?

Would you like something that could do as described?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkWork0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I have a question for you. If I (or someone else) were to port or develop a Web Browser, would you use it? I ask as I think I have found a better way of transferring files to the SD card, but unfortunately the stock browser(obviously) doesn't download most files. I would love to use Wi-Fi Transfer (an app for multiple OSes) to get transfer speeds many times faster than FTP. The way the app works is simple, load it up and it shows an internal (on your own Wi-Fi network) IP and port. You simply just point your browser to said address and your files and folders are at your disposal for downloading.

D

Deleted User

What are you suggesting here? The stock Wii U browser can run exploits. Why would you need to download stuff through it?

D

Deleted User

What are you suggesting here? The stock Wii U browser can run exploits. Why would you need to download stuff through it?
Some people have reasons for things. @DarkWork0 is suggesting a web server program that allows file transfers and downloads, likely faster than using FTP.

Most people wont notice the difference for this if thy use a desktop PC, but if they use a phone (without a native FTP client) or wish to upload larger files, this may improve their experience a little.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
You do know it all depends on your transfer rates of your internet? not how the browser performs. I use FilleZilla and get the same upload as I do normally, no different. I hit 3Mb/s upload rate to the wiiu the same as I would using any normal upload client. If your internet does not perform up to standards say your not on FTTH, then your upload or download for that matter will not perform either changing the browser will not make an ounce of difference.

Reactions: Deleted User

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Can the FTP server apps for the Wii U not be improved? that would be the best solution.

Good FTP client exist for pretty much all platforms, so people can easily FTP files from their PC or even phones / tablets if they really desired.

julienbdes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would use that new ftp method to upload on my sd card some VC, since i dont have access often to a computer with sd port it can be good :) looking forward to this!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
udp is quicker ;-)
But might cause data loss/corruption, not the best method.
You do know it all depends on your transfer rates of your internet? not how the browser performs. I use FilleZilla and get the same upload as I do normally, no different. I hit 3Mb/s upload rate to the wiiu the same as I would using any normal upload client. If your internet does not perform up to standards say your not on FTTH, then your upload or download for that matter will not perform either changing the browser will not make an ounce of difference.
It has nothing to do with internet speed, it has to do with how fast the wifi chip in the Wii U is (it's not very fast)

Reactions: Deleted User

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
But might cause data loss/corruption, not the best method.

It has nothing to do with internet speed, it has to do with how fast the wifi chip in the Wii U is (it's not very fast)
You do know what FTP stands for??? He is talking about using the ftpii app & FileZilla on his PC via homebrew to transfer games direct to his sd card which yes rely's 100% on how fast your network can transfer files direct to your sd card through your network. Also no your wrong sorry an sd cards speed is a direct speed taken from transfer rate, from PC to card, not from PC to a different device through your network so no just because a Super Expensive SD Card has 80MB/s read speed rate does not mean you will get those speeds to your wiiu thorough your network..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+FTP+stand+for?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-is-ftp.html

Quote> You use FTP to access a remote computer on the network to getor receive files, or to put or send files.

Last edited by Reecey,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You do know what FTP stands for??? He is talking about using the ftpii app & FileZilla on his PC via homebrew to transfer games direct to his sd card which yes rely's 100% on how fast your network can transfer files direct to your sd card through your network.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+does+FTP+stand+for?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-is-ftp.html

Quote> You use FTP to access a remote computer on the network to getor receive files, or to put or send files.
You said internet the first time, not network. They are not the same thing. That's what I was trying to point out.
Anyway, as I was saying, the Wii U's wifi speed is pretty slow, it's probably going to be slower than your router's unless you're using a potato. For example I can get around 120mbps over my wifi network (I have 802.11ac)
With 802.11n i was able to get about 70mbps.
The Wii U gets nowhere near this amount.
So, while network speed does in general matter, it's probably not going to make a difference for most people with the Wii U.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
You said internet the first time, not network. They are not the same thing.
Anyway, as I was saying, the Wii U's wifi speed is pretty slow, it's probably going to be slower than your router's unless you're using a potato. For example I can get around 120mbps over my wifi network (I have 802.11ac)
With 802.11n i was able to get about 70mbps.
The Wii U gets nowhere near this amount.
The Internet at home is his network, that's what he is talking about "wifi network" his PC to his wiiu, unless your talking about something completely different outside your house ie there is a network distributing flyers around my area for example. Yes your right the wiiu is heavily capped compared to your actual downstream & upstream throughput at your home but if he is using ftpii & FileZilla he should not see that much difference between what he gets to his PC say downloading a film or what he gets on FileZilla to his wiiu. Tbh I use an ethernet adapter on my wiiu and I don't get that much loss compared to what I get using my PC direct with apps. Mind you thinking about it now, using a wifi connection to my wiiu I see a much greater loss that's why I tend to keep my ethernet adapter in all the time! I bought one for my Wii in the first instance cause my internet was so quick that when I played an online match in Mario kart 6 it would error out every time, I rang Nintendo about this issue and they told me I had to buy an ethernet adapter because the actual wii's wifi card inside could not cope with those sort of throughputs at the time and they were right I bought one plugged it in and no more problems!

Last edited by Reecey,

DarkWork0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I am using ES File Explorer from my Android phone and the max it gets is around 500-700kb/s but only if it's a larger file. I get considerably less for smaller files. I was just looking for a more consistent and faster speed from the different file sizes. I usually DL at around 3mb/s from the net. Even on my phone I get up to 2mb/s.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Internet at home is his network, that's what he is talking about "wifi network" his PC to his wiiu, unless your talking about something completely different outside your house ie there is a network distributing flyers around my area for example. Yes your right the wiiu is heavily capped compared to your actual downstream & upstream throughput at your home but if he is using ftpii & FileZilla he should not see that much difference between what he gets to his PC say downloading a film or what he gets on FileZilla to his wiiu. Tbh I use an ethernet adapter on my wiiu and I don't get that much loss compared to what I get using my PC direct with apps. Mind you thinking about it now, using a wifi connection to my wiiu I see a much greater loss that's why I tend to keep my ethernet adapter in all the time! I bought one for my Wii in the first instance cause my internet was so quick that when I played an online match in Mario kart 6 it would error out every time, I rang Nintendo about this issue and they told me I had to buy an ethernet adapter because the actual wii's wifi card inside could not cope with those sort of throughputs at the time and they were right I bought one plugged it in and no more problems!
I meant, internet is referring to the connection from your network to the rest of the world, but since this is local, it's not using the internet connection ;) So when you said "it all depends on the transfer rates of your internet" I thought you didn't know the difference between a local network and an internet connection, maybe I was wrong, I just see people make this mistake all too often :P

:lol: That's funny, weirdly I've never had that issue or heard of anyone with that issue before. Though I haven't used my Wii since I upgraded my internet to 100mbps, I've just been playing on the Wii U/3DS (and haven't really been playing any Wii games at home at all lately TBH)
I thought the Wii LAN adapter was limited to USB 1.1, so it would still be pretty slow, but I see there are unofficial ones that claim USB 2.0 support and I suppose the latency would be lower either way so it would at least be an improvement.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Reecey

DarkWork0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I see it as a way to streamline the process of transferring files to the WiiU. You only need to download whatever you want and do all the rest of the work from the WiiU, minimizing the time you would need to go to your device. Just leave your preferred device on, leave the server app on, and your set for whatever you want to transfer.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You did say internet. I was thinking the same thing. There is no such thing as "internet" internally. Don't confuse the noobs. That would be "intranet". That's all we need is people thinking they need fast Internet to run homebrew.

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
You did say internet. I was thinking the same thing. There is no such thing as "internet" internally. Don't confuse the noobs. That would be "intranet". That's all we need is people thinking they need fast Internet to run homebrew.
Actually now we are talking about Homebrew loading & success, if your upload throughput is really good to your wiiu then you will get better success rate loading the payload! I best shut up now its getting messy!!! :teach::yayu:> that's me lecturing everyone on the wiiu internet side by the way.

@The Real Jdbye google it, I'm sure this problem was logged a long while back by Ninti. I cant find it but I certainly remember the problem and ringing Nintendo I'm sure if you looked hard on the internet it would pop up somewhere.

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr