Hardware Fan speed controll

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I didnt know where to put this. So if mods think it should go in any other section please move it there.

Anyway, hi!

So im trying to controll fans on my PC but i have a hard time.
Can someone help me please?

I got gigabyte motherboard and i connected 3 pin cpu fan from my old pc just for fun and to try to control it and i tried some software but it wont work, the bios controlls it all the time at 3000 rpm.
I also tried 4 pin cpu fan thats on my mb but i also cant controll it.

Can someone tell me what do i do wrong?

Can i controll system fan via voltage and if so what software do i use to controll it that way?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I didnt know where to put this. So if mods think it should go in any other section please move it there.

Anyway, hi!

So im trying to controll fans on my PC but i have a hard time.
Can someone help me please?

I got gigabyte motherboard and i connected 3 pin cpu fan from my old pc just for fun and to try to control it and i tried some software but it wont work, the bios controlls it all the time at 3000 rpm.
I also tried 4 pin cpu fan thats on my mb but i also cant controll it.

Can someone tell me what do i do wrong?

Can i controll system fan via voltage and if so what software do i use to controll it that way?

Thanks in advance!

I would share my Tools which I use,if you like.

Maybe this Tool is "old" but still useful,working and reliable:
https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

For my System (Gigabyte H55M Mainboard),it is controlling the CPU and Case Fan.
The Temperature Curve is customized.

Ohne Tizzzzztel-3.jpg

For the Graphics Card (Gigabyte) I use the MSI Afterburner:
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner
The Temperature Curve is also customized.

Ohne Tffffffitel-1.jpg

I am sure there are more,better and newer Tools. :)

Good Luck
Thank you.:)

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thanks a lot for sharing, ill try them asap. As for GPU, i also use afterburner, it looks much better than aorus engine and more customizable but i have this one problem with GPU...i cant controll fan below 59% its locked there as minimum. I can go above just not below that minimum.
Hence the reason i want to controll motherboard fan. I plan to replace GPU fan with other bigger one and more silent and connect it via motherboard and use argus monitor tool to set that fan that will be connected to motherboard to fillof GPU temperature to regulate its RPM (Ill use the custom curve)

Thats basicaly the reason i want to controll motherboard fan.... but the problem is it wont let me...

Anyway, ill try with software you sent me and report. Thanks!

Oh and my GPU is Gigabyte GTX 1650 super OC

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: oh wait, i see now its a speedfan...well i cant do anything with speedfan, i tried that...

whats minimum fan speed of your gpu?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)

Thanks a lot for sharing, ill try them asap. As for GPU, i also use afterburner, it looks much better than aorus engine and more customizable but i have this one problem with GPU...i cant controll fan below 59% its locked there as minimum. I can go above just not below that minimum.
Hence the reason i want to controll motherboard fan. I plan to replace GPU fan with other bigger one and more silent and connect it via motherboard and use argus monitor tool to set that fan that will be connected to motherboard to fillof GPU temperature to regulate its RPM (Ill use the custom curve)

Thats basicaly the reason i want to controll motherboard fan.... but the problem is it wont let me...

Anyway, ill try with software you sent me and report. Thanks!

Oh and my GPU is Gigabyte GTX 1650 super OC

EDIT: oh wait, i see now its a speedfan...well i cant do anything with speedfan, i tried that...

whats minimum fan speed of your gpu?

I can set it to 0:

Ohne Ttttttitel-3.jpg

I have also a Gigabyte (GTX 1050 Ti Windforce).

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I can set mine to minimum 59% which is crazy!
its 1900 RPM at idle (30-35°C) i want to set it to at least 1500 rpm but gigabyte support told me its the minimum for said card.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I can set mine to minimum 59% which is crazy!
its 1900 RPM at idle (30-35°C) i want to set it to at least 1500 rpm but gigabyte support told me its the minimum for said card.

Yes,that is correct,you should not use 0.
When I try it,the Card gets warmer as usual.
28° in Idle with 50% Fan....not really audible,my PC is located under a Table.

Please note,you have two Settings for Controlling the GPU Fan (GREEN Arrows):
Ohne Tgggtttttitel-3.jpg

Last edited by Alexander1970,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I didnt said i would set it to 0% but that i could not set it to 0% its locked at 59% as minimum (1900 rpm)>
As i said, i dont want it to be at 0 since it doesnt have heat pipes just an aluminium block, but i think reasonable rpm would be at least 1300-1500 rpm when idle. 1900 is just to much especially at night time.

Again, i do use those settings that you showed me in afterburner, but 59% is the minimum i can go!
So replacing the GPU fan with the case fan seems like a good thing to controll it, but i cant even controll a case fan!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What fans and what motherboard in particular? Some motherboards may not have headers that support both PWM and DC mode at the same time to control your fans, so knowing your actual motherboard model would be helpful information, and some motherboards don't allow you to control fan speeds outside of BIOS so you may be stuck with whatever options you have there.

You also need to make sure your BIOS is configured correctly for each fan, and you need to check which fans you're using and whether they can be controlled. For 3 pin fans, you'll need to use DC mode in order to control it (sometimes called voltage control), tl;dr it pushes differing amounts of voltage to the fan to control its speed (usually between 6v-12v, depending on the fan). 4 pin fans will vary depending on the fan, usually they'll support PWM but sometimes you may have a 4 pin fan that doesn't, and so needs to use DC mode to control the speed.

As for swapping the fans on a GPU and using motherboard headers instead of ones on the GPU, I wouldn't do that unless you plan on setting a static fan speed for your GPU, since your motherboards fan headers aren't going to know what temp your GPU is and it won't be able to automatically adjust based on how hot it gets. A better solution, IMO, would be to flash a different vBIOS to your GPU that will allow better fan control. According to this thread, flashing a Gigabyte Windforce BIOS allows you to lower fan speed below 59%: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bios-mod-gigabyte-gtx-1650-super.266405/#post-4333062

Just make sure you backup your own vBIOS first in case it doesn't work as usual.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
What fans and what motherboard in particular? Some motherboards may not have headers that support both PWM and DC mode at the same time to control your fans, so knowing your actual motherboard model would be helpful information, and some motherboards don't allow you to control fan speeds outside of BIOS so you may be stuck with whatever options you have there.

You also need to make sure your BIOS is configured correctly for each fan, and you need to check which fans you're using and whether they can be controlled. For 3 pin fans, you'll need to use DC mode in order to control it (sometimes called voltage control), tl;dr it pushes differing amounts of voltage to the fan to control its speed (usually between 6v-12v, depending on the fan). 4 pin fans will vary depending on the fan, usually they'll support PWM but sometimes you may have a 4 pin fan that doesn't, and so needs to use DC mode to control the speed.

As for swapping the fans on a GPU and using motherboard headers instead of ones on the GPU, I wouldn't do that unless you plan on setting a static fan speed for your GPU, since your motherboards fan headers aren't going to know what temp your GPU is and it won't be able to automatically adjust based on how hot it gets. A better solution, IMO, would be to flash a different vBIOS to your GPU that will allow better fan control. According to this thread, flashing a Gigabyte Windforce BIOS allows you to lower fan speed below 59%: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bios-mod-gigabyte-gtx-1650-super.266405/#post-4333062

Just make sure you backup your own vBIOS first in case it doesn't work as usual.
Thanks for reply!

I'll use vBIOS replacement as LAST resort. i just bought this card and ill see what non invasive things i can do to lover the noise level and keep it even cooler while gaming.

As i saw Argus monitor can in fact controll motherboard fan speed acording to temperature measurments from whatever component, in this case the GPU, thats where idea comes from.
Thats the reason im testing motherboard capability to controll fans.

Also the fixed RPM (if i wouldnt be able to controll it via software) would be OK if i set up a big fan with masive amount of airflow to aluminium fins of a GPU at low RPM, meaning silent and cool. So both options are ok. As for flashing vBIOS ill leave that for last...if i dont get annoyed by the card and sell it and buy the one with 3D active fan and heatsink like this one for example https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SIXOC-6GD#kf

As for fans, i really have only CPU fan connected to motherboard and other 4pin conector is empty. i tried conecting my old AMD cup fan that has 3 wires to it and it spins at 3000 rpm (not so noisy to my surprise) maximum, and i messed in bios to controll, using fanspeed, argus, nothing works as if motherboard wont let me change the speed.

Now another solution that i thought would be external fan controller/monitor, but idk what are the best and can i set them to automatically controll the fans based on temperature reading of certain component like GPU, since thats what i try to do.

As for motherboard, its a "H61M-S2PV (rev.2.0)" with latest bios "Fid"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol