Fan control vs modded housing

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Virdoo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Virdoo
    OP

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Hi,

I've got few days ago PS3 (I know i'm late xd) anyway, i'm aware of huge problem on PS3 which is overheating. So with my modded PS3 I also got modded housing which has holes above fan. Also to mention, I'm keeping my PS3 on open shell, so heat doesn't stay close to PS. Is this good enough to keep it from overheating?

P.s. Do I also need to change thermal paste with all that?

2. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    I'd recommend a fresh thermal past application and use a cobra cfw with webbing fan control installed. This should ensure that it stays in a cool enough state. Also what model is it? Phat or slim?

3. Virdoo
    OP

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Slim

4. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The slim model is way less prone to the heating issue. Should be absolutely fine with just a fan control tool.

5. Johnpocket

Johnpocket Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2017
    France
    Europe
    thanks for this info !

6. britain4

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Thermal paste should be the first thing you do (including under the IHS) followed by an EZchill/other fan mod. (Unless you're going CFW then you can get a fan controller app). And of course keep it in the open which you've said you're doing already.

I suspect the housing mods/holes drilled in case you see floating around are probably not as effective as people make them out to be. Even though the casing might look restrictive it isn't a vacuum and should draw in as much air as the fan can move.

You're also risking disrupting the airflow over other components which will then get hotter than they should.

Last edited by britain4, May 16, 2017