Famitsu does it Again

X D D X

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
Having debuted in a respectable third place in the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 40 yesterday, Nintendo’s New Super Mario Bros Wii has been given top marks by weekly Japanese games mag Famitsu.

Mario’s latest becomes only the 13th game to ever receive the highly-coveted accolade, though it is the second in just a few weeks following the recent 40/40 score for Sega’s Bayonetta.
Scores:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) – 10/10/10/10
Assassins Creed 2 (PS3/360) – 9/9/9/9
Pokepark Wii: Pikachu’s Great Adventure (Wii) – 9/9/8/8
Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii) – 9/8/9/8
Tokyo Friend Pack II Ketteiban: Minna de Chousen! Taikan Attraction (Wii) – 7/6/6/5
Stitch (DS) – 7/7/7/7
Up (DS) – 6/6/6/6
Up (Wii) – 7/7/7/6
Kamo no Hashikamo. Aimai Seikatsu no Susume (DS) – 6/6/6/6
Yggdra Unison: Seiken Buyuuden (DS) – 8/8/7/7
Kirakira Rhythm Collection (DS) – 8/7/5/5
Power Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (DS) – 9/9/8/9
Cross Treasures (DS) – 8/8/8/7
Takumi Restaurant wa Daihanjou! (Wii) – 6/7/6/6
Jinsei Game DS (DS) – 5/6/5/5
Kaijuu Busters (DS) – 7/7/6/7
Kuma Relaxuma Rhythm: Mattari Kibun de Da Run Run Run (DS) – 7/7/5/5

Source: VGChartz and MCVUK

I honestly don't know what to say about this..

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never, ever trusted Famitsu for my reviews. It's pretty much just way too Japanese. That may sound "racist" or "insensitive", but it seems any game that's puked out by a big Japanese company (Nintendo, Square Enix) will receive a raving or, at worst, a good review. I mean, people were all up-in-arms when they gave FFCC: The Crystal Bearers a 30/40, which isn't even a bad score. I guess it really shows that everyone expects any Final Fantasy game to be circle jerked to. Anything with "Final Fantasy", "Pokemon", or "Dragon Quest" will get a nice old review.

They also gave Nintendogs a 40/40 (c'mon, it's a fucking dog simulator). Not to mention Haze got a 34/40 (according to p1ngy, and this game was supposed to be quite bad), Pokemon Battle Revolution got a 35/40 (even though PBR is an awful, barebones game), and Phantom Hourglass got a 39/40 (and the game, while good, in no ways deserves a 97%). I can't believe NSMB Wii gets a perfect score while Super Mario Galaxy doesn't, despite the fact SMG is a clearly superior game.

Oh yeah, and have I mentioned that professional reviews are 60% cocksucking, 39% gift baskets, and 1% actual reviewing?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think Famitsu and also Dengeki are getting bribed to feature games from certain companies and to rate them with a good score even though they suck or are overrated.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't care about Famitsu reviews unless you were Japanese.

See, the Japanese have a terrible taste in games these days.
Explaining why JRPGs, which are produced every 2 minutes, are so popular there. However, since they are made by the thousands, their quality has declined and now they are very shitty compared to WRPGs. But Westerners and Easterners have different taste, of course. We here like gay FPSes and they like gay RPGs (Although I am convinced that the West has surpassed Japan when it comes to game quality).

There are exceptions though. Kingdom Hearts, for example, a terrible, terrible game was well-received by both sides. It may be, though, that reviewers were just blinded because this was an early-gen game. Fortunately, reviewers like IGN gave the second game a more reasonable score like a 7/10.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jaems said:

Explaining why JRPGs, which are produced every 2 minutes, are so popular there. However, since they are made by the thousands, their quality has declined and now they are very shitty compared to WRPGs. But Westerners and Easterners have different taste, of course. We here like gay FPSes and they like gay RPGs (Although I am convinced that the West has surpassed Japan when it comes to game quality).

There are exceptions though. Kingdom Hearts, for example, a terrible, terrible game was well-received by both sides. It may be, though, that reviewers were just blinded because this was an early-gen game. Fortunately, reviewers like IGN gave the second game a more reasonable score like a 7/10.

I haven't seen or played a WRPG that I can say is remotely good. The quality of some JRPGs are bad I could name a few I skipped because of how terrible they were but overall JRPGs>WRPGs. Adventure games are better in the Western regions than the Eastern regions and mech games are better when made in the East except Steel Battalion.

acturus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
it is a great game, but i wouldn't give it a perfect score by any means. if you ask me, the perfect score is meaningless coming from a source that gave nintendogs a perfect score.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Jaems said:

I haven't seen or played a WRPG that I can say is remotely good. The quality of some JRPGs are bad I could name a few I skipped because of how terrible they were but overall JRPGs>WRPGs. Adventure games are better in the Western regions than the Eastern regions and mech games are better when made in the East except Steel Battalion.
I am sorry, señor, you are either too young to remember the classic and magnificent PC RPGs, or you haven't played much WRPGs at all, or both.
Or you just have bad taste.
cool.gif

But compared to what Western developers have to put out these days, current-gen JRPGs are a joke.
I cannot name another developer other than Square that still puts out stellar RPGs. And I am being honest.
Fifteen or more years ago, perhaps, I would've said JRPGs are superior, what with the PS1 and all the Final Fantasies and Xenogears, and Vagrant Story - hmm, all Square games - how could one deny? Even if we were getting the likes of Baldur's Gate and Ultima at the time...

However, these days, I believe Westerners have surpassed the Eastern developers when it comes to RPGs.

In short: To each their own.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrainerAbu said:
Wuschmaster said:
I don't understand why ANYONE trusts Famitsu's reviews...
Are there worse reviewers?!
IGN

Trufax. I remember when Famitsu reviews did actually hold some water.

And to be fair about Nintendogs, it is extremely different from anything released before then, so an unusually high score is not too outlandish (not defending anybody, just saying it wasn't as ludicrous of a score as this and other 40/40s they've given lately).

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Jaems, dont forget Mistwalker studios. They have made a couple of great JRPG's this gen called Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey
Well, as I said, to each their own.
I kind of have a love/hate relationship with Blue Dragon. I loved the art direction and graphical style.
But when it comes to the gameplay/story, Blue Dragon doesn't offer much besides the traditional turn-based battle system and stabdard RPG storyline. Of course, this wouldn't be a bad thing if this game was released, say, 10 years ago. But by today's standards, that formula has surely worn.

Likewise, I had the same opinion of Lost Odyssey. Both were awfully old-fashioned, of course intentionally, but such a dated style can't hold up to the likes of the fresher RPGs of this generation.

One thing we can agree on is that both of these titles had excellent music and art-direction!
yay.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
guess nintedo has a lot of money to throw around these days

When you sell millions upon millions of units and software, you might as well have video game reviewers suck your cock.

Also, sha-boing on SW3. I loved Dynasty Warriors and it's about damn time a DW game (even if it is a spinoff) comes to Nintendo's court. The only DW games that came to them were the crappy portables (outside of Taisen).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: