Fallout 3 PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by VVoltz, Aug 31, 2008.

Aug 31, 2008

Fallout 3 PS2? by VVoltz at 7:29 PM (3,355 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I just saw and ad yesterday in a 7-eleven stores (US) about Fallout 3 being released on PS2, it even had the price USD49.99.
    [​IMG]

That was a huge misprint. The basically said that you cold buy some games like CoD: World at War, GH: World Tour, GoW2 and others at midnight the day they get released. Great idea since 7-eleven stores open 24/7.

2. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I'd be surprised if they could fit it on PS2. It's not just graphics and sound that need to be tuned down.
    2 and 3 are not that far away, I bet they can get away with it.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    if it can fit on 360 then theres no reason why it cant fit on a ps2 disk either since its the same media

4. deathfisaro

Canada
    First of all 360 uses dual layer DVD and PS2 uses single layer DVD, which has just above 3 gigs size difference.

Secondly, I wasn't talking about the file size. Just drop the textures and decrease sound to stereo, you can probably fit MGS4 on single layer DVD. But it won't behave the same way, the difference in processing power makes the PS2 version to be redesigned in many areas.
    Like lack of physics engine (or algorithm), simpler AI algorithm (as you don't want to max out PS2's CPU with just that, unless you want to make Fallout 3 into a chess game), and whatever else I can't currently think of.

Last time I checked, non PS3/360 versions of Star Wars:TFU had no physics engine that was present in PS3/360 version which means little to no environmental destruction and stormtroopers flying away like a piece of brick, etc. Why? Machine power, what else.

5. Bi99uy

Member Bi99uy GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Why you are correct about the Raw power needed, the PS2 does indeed use DL discs. Plenty of games used them, like GOW 2. Just check for discs with a gold coating.

6. deathfisaro

Canada
    Like how Wii used DL disc for SSBB? I already sold my copy of GOW2 and never noticed it was any different from other PS2 discs I have.
    But then, I only recently learned blue colored PS2 discs are CDs so what do I know.

7. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If it was true, I'd probably get it. =P I have no other way of playing it as I lack a 360/PS3...

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yup,

all PS2 CD are blue colored (games like half-life, x-squad, fantavison)
    all PS2 DVD (5) are silver (prretty much every regular game)
    all PS2 DVD-DL (9) are a shade of orange almost (GoW, GoW2[both discs], GT4, MGS2S)