failed downgrade, (partial now) wont boot with SD card inserted (no homebrew)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by kofman13, May 7, 2016.

1. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    So I am doing the Plaitec CFW guide down to the T. Began section 2 downgrade, loaded plaisys updater, first time downgrading to 9.2 it froze at hax init for a while. so according to the guide after 30 seconds I can reboot and try again. second time it said HAX SUCCESS, verified all the cia files in updates, and then began to downgrade, went halfway through and top screen went black and on bottom it said
    "an error occured, contact nintendo blah blah"
    So i guess i just have a partial downgrade now and i need to start again. But the new3ds wont boot past black screen if i have SD inserted, and i cant use menuhax anymore.
    But i can insert sd after i get to home screen though. so i guess do browser hax again and try the downgrade again? ( it says i am on 9.2.0 now but i know its partial because i got an error during)

I just dont want to mess anything up, should i format sd card and start all over again? or just delete updates folder, copy over fresh from the 9.2 firmware rar..... and then just install browserhax again?

Last edited by kofman13, May 7, 2016
  2. pbanj

pbanj The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    Just use browserhax again, you will most likely need to use the one for the fw ur were orig on. Also change the theme and it should clear up the black screen issue

3. TheDuckMan64

TheDuckMan64 Chicken nugget.

Oct 9, 2015
    I had the same problem. You need to delete the home menu theme data, located at
    • sdmc/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata/<Home Menu Theme Data>.
    The last number will vary depending on your region. It's
    000002cc for JP, 000002cd for US and 000002ce for EUR. Once you've done that, grab a cartridge with a 9.3+ update on it and update to above 9.2, and try the downgrade again

4. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    changing theme fixed black screen, youre a legend. gonna try browser hax again and do the downgrade again will keep posted!

5. TheDuckMan64

Oct 9, 2015
    Since your NATIVE_FIRM wouldn't have downgraded, it's most likely that you'll have to update to a firmware above 9.2 with a cartridge and try the downgrade again (at least that's what I had to do :P)

6. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    The black screen was caused because menuhax was still there. It can also be caused because you had a theme installed. Changing it clears it out.

7. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    Ok so i did the downgrade again, this time it only checked integrity of ONE cia file, and downgraded only ONE file, and then said downgrade successful, rebooting 10 seconds, now it rebooted back to home screen. I guess it's all good now? (i guess it only did one this time because that was the last file it gave error on last time?)

8. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    You can try downgrade check to be sure your downgrade is successful: https://github.com/svanheulen/downgrade_check/releases

9. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    Ya depending on what it failed on it may have only have had one or 2 files it needed to downgrade to finish. Use the downgrade checker. You should have a max of like 2 or 3 mis matched files and an extra file if its successful

10. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    [​IMG]

11. TheDuckMan64

Oct 9, 2015
    That error log is fine. You can find those mismatched files in your update folder and install them using a cia installer, but it won't affect your 3ds.

Omegadrien and pbanj like this.
  12. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    Yup that's to be expected you are downgraded.

kofman13 likes this.
  13. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    so ur saying im truly on 9.2.0 and good to continue my journey?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

you guys are the best, be back soon! hopefully no problems!

pbanj likes this.
  14. Justin20020

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I got the same yesterday as I downgraded my N3ds XL. In the middle of the downgrade to 9.2 got I " A error has occured.." after that, I was partial on 9.2 (whats be said on the plailect guide) so I upgraded on the newest FW (10.7) and restart the progress (I have Cubic Ninja as Entry point)

15. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    luckily i just ran the downgrade again without upgrading first higher, and it finished successfully, doing the next step now (creating sysNAND.bin)

pbanj and Justin20020 like this.