Hacking EZFlash IV/V Compatibility Question (SP/GBA)

PieOnPot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Guys,

Please forgive me if there is already a thread that asked this question/received the answer - I looked around, but couldn't exactly find what I wanted....

Question:
I'm looking for a flash card that can do the following:
1. Compatible with the Gameboy SP / Advance
2. Compatible with the Gameboy Player
3. Is a decent size / can hold multiple games

Now, from what I've read, it seems most people are recommending the EZFlash IV GBA size card; however, I couldn't help but notice there was a "EZFlash V" GBA size card too (http://www.realhotstuff.com/expansion-pack-size-p-212.html).

According to another site, the EZFlash V (3-1 GBA Size) "can be used as a standalone GBA card and is compatible with GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo DS Lite" -- is this true? As I was getting the impression that the EZFlash V was only compatible with the DS/Lite =S!

In short, is the EZFlash V compatible with the GBA / SP? If not, is the EZFlash IV still an excellent pick (heard something about an "m3" card or something that's supposed to be good).

Thanks, and again, I'm really sorry if this has all been answered before )= -- I'm just getting a little desperate as a family members birthday is coming up, and I'm behind on the research...

David

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-V is a slot-1 cart, aka a DS-sized cartridge. The EZ-V 3in1 is what you're looking at, and it's a slot-2 expansion pack. While yes you can run the Phat-sized version in a standard GBA, it's designed to be run in combination with a slot-1 card. Because of this, it has no slot for an SD card of any sort. Instead, you load games from your slot-1 card to the 3in1's internal memory and launch the game from there. In other words, if you wanted to run it on a standard GBA you could, but you'd have to use a DS and a slot-1 cart in order to change whatever game is currently stored on there. You can only hold one game at once in its memory (possibly more if you're using the EZ-V as your slot-1 card).

If you want a standalone GBA cart, the EZ-IV would be a better choice.

The M3 Perfect (not M3 Pro or M3 Expansion Pack) is also a good slot-2 device, but it's hard to find and is expensive, which would be the main issues with trying to get one.

PieOnPot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the reply, my knowledge level has increased by +2 points =D!

I know you said the EZ-V can only hold one game, but what about the EZ-Flash IV -- is it able to hold multiple GBA games on the device at the same time (ie: no limit of game size, limited only by the miniSD card size)?

Finally, does the "M3 Perfect" have features that would make it worth finding (ex: it runs games better/holds more, etc)? Or is the EZ-Flash IV more or less an equal alternative?
I believe I found the M3 Perfect on Jandaman's site, but it's out of stock >.< -- I wrote him about his flash cards in general, and he said that they "should have the extreme flash advance long card version in a couple of days".

I'm going to try and research this "extreme flash advance long card", but if you (or anybody else) knows off the top of their head if I'd be better of going with a EZ-Flash IV or M3 Perfect, please let me know XD.
(I'm willing to spend $50-$130 for a good, long lasting card)

Again, thank you so much for your help - I'll try and research the three cards on my end too (kinda just looking for the "best of the best").

David

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, the EZ-V is a DS cartridge, and it has its own microSD slot. The 3in1 expansion pack is the GBA cartridge that only holds a single game at a time.

The EZ-IV is a GBA cartridge with a miniSD slot, and it can accept cards up to 2 GB (doesnt' support SDHC).

I don't know exactly what the differences are between the M3 perfect and the EZ-IV, as I've never owned either of them. However, both of them would be preferable to the Extreme Flash Advance, which I believe is more similar to the 3in1 in that it's rather low-capacity with built-in memory. Only place I know that still stocks the M3 Perfect is Ishopvideogame.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
I don't know exactly what the differences are between the M3 perfect and the EZ-IV, as I've never owned either of them. However, both of them would be preferable to the Extreme Flash Advance, which I believe is more similar to the 3in1 in that it's rather low-capacity with built-in memory. Only place I know that still stocks the M3 Perfect is Ishopvideogame.

I just checked ishopvideogame and they only offer the M3 Perfect Lite which is for NDS only.

I have both M3 Perfect SD and the EZ-IV. The M3 is superior to the EZ-IV due to faster loading times and the Real Time Save feature that works. Those are the two main differences that I'm aware of. Because it's very difficult to find M3 Perfect, I would just go with EZ-IV if you want GBA support.

PieOnPot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thank you both so much for your time -- I believe I understand (more or less) and know how to proceed from here (=.
I believe I'll purchase the EZ Flash IV, and I'll keep my eyes out for a M3 Perfect SD (I assume "M3 Perfect SD" is the correct name?).

Thanks for checking the site Gtmt, as I was actually a little confused if that one (the M3 Perfect Lite) was compatible with the GBA/SP (it looked like it had an adapter or something) =P!

Anyhoo, I believe I know how to proceed from here (purchase EZ-Flash IV and eventually, the M3) -- thanks again!

David

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that GBA flash cards can be very confusing. Even I still get confused at times. Especially when M3 has a bunch of different models out.

The only site that I know of that sells M3 Perfect is:
http://www.modchipstore.com/NDS-Nintendo-M...i-SD-16373.html

It's $100 which is high considering that I got mine for $60 last year from RealHotStuff.com. But GBA cards are generally more expensive due to the SRAM that it includes.

PieOnPot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it’s certainly becoming clearer the more I research/ask questions =P! Thank you so much for the links to the M3!

To start me off, I'm just about to order an EZFlash IV from realhotstuff.com/, but have one final question, and thought you might know the answer XD.

Question:
Is there a distinguishing mark on or inside the card that will ensure I have received a "real" cartridge? I read some reports of people receiving fake cards, one of which supposedly came from realhotstuff.com =X!

On their site, I noticed they said the Flash IV did not come in the manufacturer’s packaging; however, they claimed the card was brand new when I wrote them (they answered right away, which was nice)

Again, thank you so much for your help and for going out of your way to locate those links to the M3 – I’ll most likely purchase one in the not-to-distant future (=.

David
P.S. The following two sites also sell the EZ-Flash IV, but they were slightly more expensive and not based in the USA
1. www.bamboogaming.cn
2. www.gamersection.ca
3. www.realhotstuff.com/ezflash-size-p-294.html

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have never seen or heard of any fakes of the EZ4. Packaging is often stripped as it saves on shipping (either from China or internally).

All three sites have generally positive feedback everywhere I have been.

PieOnPot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, sounds like I'm good to go then (= -- thank you all for taking the time to help.
(I wave a small flag in your general direction!)

David

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1