Hacking EZ4 (Lite) and Homebrew

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm considering buying an EZ4Lite and wonder, how well homebrew stuff works on EZ4.

Here's what I want to use:
- SNES DS and SnezziDS
- Picodrive
- DS2Key
- Rein

So you EZ4 owners, wanna share some information?
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EZ4 should be the same as the EZ4lite.

SNESDS works

SnezziDS kind of worked (it booted but the game did not run) but I will have to confirm that.

Picrodrive, sadly not yet. Hopefully if Sata includes the EZ4 access stuff in the next version then maybe (it was released to Moonshell's author).

DS2Key should work.

Rein will likely not work as I seem to recall it actually writes to the card which once again due to the lack of EZ4 access routines during the last build it will likely not work. EtoolSMS does the same thing works great though http://nds.cmamod.com/download.html

Oh and remember to either add a GBA header to your rom or rename it with a .bin or a .gba extension as .ds/.nds ones crash it.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh and remember to either add a GBA header to your rom or rename it with a .bin or a .gba extension as .ds/.nds ones crash it.

Thanks for your answer
smile.gif

What does that last sentence mean?
Example SNES DS: I have the .ds.gba file. Normally I would have to rename it to .nds on M3 or Supercard. But not for EZ4?

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for your answer
smile.gif

What does that last sentence mean?
Example SNES DS: I have the .ds.gba file. Normally I would have to rename it to .nds on M3 or Supercard. But not for EZ4?

I think he means some homebrew come in ds.gba versions, meaning they are prepatched with the header to work on GBA flash cards.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah if you have a .ds.gbs file you can just copy it across to your memory card. Use explorer rather than EZ4 Client though.

A lot of homebrew gets a .ds.gba version so you should only have to use that version.

DSBuild I think it was called can be used (you will have to search for it I am afraid) or you can use a copy /b command with the GBA header file from the flashme offical pages.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What about ScummVM for DS, does it work on EZ4?

Btw, where can I get the latest firmware and software for EZ4? Where is the best place to get more information on the EZ4?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Another question: I took a look at the EZ-Client and noticed there's no need to make decisions like normal-boot or fast-boot. How come? Are all games transferred as fast-boot (direct SD access) and will they run without slowdowns? On M3 and SC you would have slowdowns in NSMB, Metroid Pinball and Princess Peach when played in fast-boot.

Thanks for your answers
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is all done directly from the memory card (GBA code excepted).

You will see slowdown in the Castlevania intro (I normally drop it anyhow as it saves enough space for another game) and the megaman intro/movies but no other slowdowns have been reported. I have not played metroid pinball or Princess peach yet but I can assure you NSMB is flawless.

ebcubs03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Animal Crossing Wild World's intro menu have slowdown on EZ4? It does on my supercard.. might just be my SD though. And also, I heard Tony Hawk's American Sk8land isn't playable, but if it is, does it have slowdown? I have massive slowdown for it on my Supercard.

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Homebrew varies. Moonshell streams content, some copies to the PSRAM/NOR.

@ebcubs03 I have not tried ACWW out yet for any more than a boot test (after I finally got to work on my EZ2 (size issues) I found it the most boring game in recent times).
Tony Hawks boots but crashes when the spraycan comes on the menu. I hear that disabling the sound (ndstool or menu wise) makes for a nice speedboost on some carts though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SnezziDS 0.22 and Castlevania - Vampire's Kiss Euro version tested. Works with major graphics issues (wrong layer priority).
Latest loader on my EZ4.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it correct that Flashcard-based homebrew doesn't save on EZ4? I read that SNES DS works on EZ4, but you can't save your game to SRAM. Is that correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D