1. GameBoyColor

OP GameBoyColor Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Is it possible that the 5 second delay when saving can eventually be overcome by a future firmware patch?

I just ordered an EZ Flash Omega, but the possibility of the whole thing being corrupted so easily makes me a little reluctant to want to actually use it.

2. Cartoni

Cartoni Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Probably not, since I has meanly to do with the save-file being written to the SD card, which takes some time (better write-speed of the SD card might help). I was anxious before, but playing for a week now and not having any issues. Just with the emulators on older devices ,you have to think before you shutdown the console, and if you think about it, waiting 2-3 seconds after you have saved isn't that big of a deal.

Thereby, some people requested a feature to be implemented that would notify you when the save-file has been written to the card. EZ-Flash will probably in the future implement this feature.

Thus in the end, don't worry about the saves, remember to wait a couple seconds before shutting down and you will be fine. Moreover, the Omega is just a wonderful cartridge and it would be a shame if you didn't use it ;)

3. Searinox

Searinox Dances with Dragons

Romania
    You could attempt to reduce it by using a faster memory card and 64KB cluster size.

4. EZ-Flash2

EZ-Flash2 Official EZ-FLASH Stuff

China
    we'd done a benchmark in firmware v3

the save time is 1.51 seconds for a 64KB saver

The time included the file open, file write, file close

Last edited by EZ-Flash2, Apr 20, 2018
    GameBoyColor likes this.
  5. Searinox

Searinox Dances with Dragons

Romania
    Why not keep the file open for the duration of the ROM run?

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    That would probably be worse. A lot of SD cards have their own internal caching after a fashion and this would get in the way of that.

7. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Out of curiosity, does the filesystem or the number of files in SAVER\ change the results?

Would that have any real effect? I could be wrong, but having a file "open" is really creating a handle to reference a file, but it shouldn't cause any actually writes to the SD until an actual write occurs. The only thing that should need written are the clusters themselves and possibly the modification date/time. If one didn't care about the latter, a list of clusters would be sufficient and bypass any filesystem lookups, which I believe all the Wii cios do?

Last edited by kuwanger, Apr 21, 2018
  8. EZ-Flash2

EZ-Flash2 Official EZ-FLASH Stuff

China
    good question, I'll run the benchmark in the extreme condition again.

9. wonkeytonk

wonkeytonk Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    What if the save is really small, like 8 kb? Does that mean it saves faster or slower?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - saving, Flash, Omega