OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. What does it mean when a game comes up with a white screen? Is it the same as with games that show a black screen? That I have to load it to NOR with firmware 1.720 because of the soft-reset thing? I know I could just try it, but wanted to see if anyone knew if it was dangerous to do so.

2. I know that the final firmware messes up some games because it soft resets into them. I've found Super Mario Advance 2 & 3 suffer this problem.
Are there any gba games that don't work unless on 1.720? Is there anywhere I can get a past firmware? Is it safe to downgrade the firmware?

Any help would be appreciated.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. It is either patched wrong or you patched it with another program and the EZ-Client is trying to overwrite the patch which causes the blank screen.

2. Reverting to an older firmware doesn't affect the cart, unless otherwise noted in the update log.

http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=793

zero1221

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
1. It is either patched wrong or you patched it with another program and the EZ-Client is trying to overwrite the patch which causes the blank screen.

2. Reverting to an older firmware doesn't affect the cart, unless otherwise noted in the update log.

http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=793
Ok, white screen means patched wrong. Thanks!

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@zero1221: I believe you can press L+A (it might be R+A) to start a game to revert to the hard-reset behavior in the normal 1.720 firmware. Or, you can use the 1.720 reset firmware which will default to the hard-reset behavior. That's really the only way to be sure if the white screen behavior is the result of bad patching or the issue with hard-reset. how_do_i_do_that's link has a link to the firmware under the "Reset before running (sorts frameskip issue):" line. FYI, the "sorts frameskip issue" is about an issue NDS owners were having with choppiness when playing GBA games; presumably a hard-reset fixed their problems as well).

zero1221

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kuwanger said:
@zero1221: I believe you can press L+A (it might be R+A) to start a game to revert to the hard-reset behavior in the normal 1.720 firmware. Or, you can use the 1.720 reset firmware which will default to the hard-reset behavior. That's really the only way to be sure if the white screen behavior is the result of bad patching or the issue with hard-reset. how_do_i_do_that's link has a link to the firmware under the "Reset before running (sorts frameskip issue):" line. FYI, the "sorts frameskip issue" is about an issue NDS owners were having with choppiness when playing GBA games; presumably a hard-reset fixed their problems as well).
I tried L+A and R+A and it didn't work for Super Mario Advance 3. Loaded it to the NOR and it worked perfectly. Super Mario Advance 2 though is working now
even when I don't press L or R before pressing A. Strange, but I can live with it. Not like I didn't play yoshi's island to death when I was a kid anyway.
Also, the game I was talking about must of been a bad dump because I found another and it's working great.

Edit: Came back and tried that other firmware, works great.
It fixed all my problems playing on my GBA and I was wrong, white screen can mean the same as a black screen.
I even tried playing the game that I thought was bad and it worked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on