EZ Flash IV NOR Memory (QUESTION)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by abcdaaabbbcccaaa, Feb 8, 2014.

1. abcdaaabbbcccaaa
    OP

abcdaaabbbcccaaa Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    So I recently had to save a game to the NOR flash, and I was wondering if doing so forces the EZ Flash IV cart to use its battery.

I mean, does storing games on the NOR flash use more battery than playing games of the mini SD? Where exactly are the games stored with the NOR flash, and what is it anyways?

Just want to conserve the battery as best as I can, thanks.

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    The EZ-Flash IV stores save data in SRAM, a type of memory that requires power to keep the data stored.
    While the GBA is powered on the console provides power to the SRAM. When you turn the system off, the battery in the EZ-Flash keeps the SRAM powered until you turn the system back on.

The EZ-Flash only writes the save file from it's SRAM to the miniSD card when it's menu loads (either after you turn the system off and back on again, or soft reset back to the menu).
    If the battery in the cart was to ever go completely flat, you can still get the save data written back to the MiniSD card either by soft resetting or very quickly turning the GBA off and back on again.

The battery in the cart is not used to power either the NOR flash, or the RAM that stores the games if you run them normally (not from NOR), so where you run the game from has no effect on the cart's battery.

NOR is a form of flash memory so it keeps its data without power, no need for battery backup. The upside is it stays there without power, the downside is that it is slow to write to.
    Running a game normally on the EZ-Flash writes the game to RAM that is not battery backed up, which is why it has to be re-written each time you power on the system. The upside is its much much faster to write to.

3. abcdaaabbbcccaaa
    OP

abcdaaabbbcccaaa Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2013
    United States

Thanks for the lengthy reply, appreciate it! That basically settles it.

4. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere you can never find.
    sorry for reviving a trhead but I need to know were to find the .sav file of a nor flashed game. I searched on the saver folder but I couldn't find it.i need to find it so I can backup a fire emblem binding blade save to add cheats via an emulator.