ROM Hack Extracting sprites from Roms?

JesterDev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for fun I was wanting to port Ghost House from the SMS to the DS. But I have no clue as to how to extract the sprites from the SMS rom. I've looked at and tried out several tile editors, and what not but I have NO clue as to how to use them. Anyone know of an easier method, or perhaps a tutorial that can get me started?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SMS = Master System?

Tile editing will work but will be tedious (you will probably have to mess around with palettes and/or save states and maybe even compression), my prefered tile editor is TilEd2002 although you may come across a better one for your system: http://home.arcor.de/minako.aino/TilEd2002/

The best way here would be to run an emu with a sprite/tile viewer (if you have to use VBA with an GBA code SMS emu, either SMSAdvance or DrSMS will probably do, I am not overly familiar with developer/hacker oriented emus for much other than the GBA so I am afraid I will be of little help on this one) and make a sprite sheet, from here on in it is development country which you can probably do more in than I.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I dont know if this will help, but its taken from Court Records (Phoenix Wright fansite). Of course, adjust to whatever emu you're using, this guide was meant for PW sprites.

How to makes sprites:

1. Download AnimGet (once activated, it'll take snapshots of whatever window you open next every 10 milliseconds. Very handy for sprite ripping).

2. Open your rom to to the animation you want to capture and turn off layers 2 and 4 (this will get rid of the text box and background for the GS games, differs from game to game).

3. Open AnimGet and activate it. Return to the rom and let the animation play through. Once you have enough, tell AnimGet to save.

4. Find the folder labeled "shots" wherever you stuck AnimGet and there's your pics! I edited mine to make the animations in Adobe ImageReady, but I'm sure there are a lot of other programs you can do it in, too. Most of the sprites in GS don't use true black so cutting them off the background isn't hard.

If for some strange reason you despise AnimGet you can also use the Visual Boy Advance's .avi capture feature, or it's screen shot feature, or use enigmaopoeia's screen shots.

JesterDev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info! TileEd is one that I hav tried, and it works somewhat. Just can't get the sprites in an order to where I can figure out what they are!

Turning off the layers worked with Meka! Now just need another emu that will work in windowed mode, and that animGet.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1