Extracting Sound/VA

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by orangeade, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009

Extracting Sound/VA by orangeade at 4:29 AM (805 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. orangeade
    OP

Newcomer orangeade Newbie

United States
    I've extracted some voice acting from Megaman Starforce 3 and converted them into wave files with kiwids, but the quality that they're extracted/converted into is lower than what I want. Their sample rate is 20 kHz and I want them at at least 41-48 kHz—the reason for this is that I want to use them for a vid I'm uploading to YouTube, but before that, I want to edit them a bit in Audacity.

Is there a way to extract sounds from the rom with better quality than what kiwids extracts them at? If there is, how do I do it?

Please note that I'm new to rom hacking [​IMG] —I just found out about kiwids and dslazy a couple days ago when I was googling around for a way to do this.

2. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    there are many ways. you could try the audio plug thing. it's a cable that plugs into the headphone jack on your ds and the other end plugs into your pc's speaker port. plug those two together and use audacity to record.

the other way which is what i use is vgm trans. i find the music files with it and use audacity to record while playing the music with vgm trans.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Extract with kiwi.ds"?
    I know of his stuff and sdat spec but was unaware he made any sound related tools beyond stuff for SSEQ (to and from) and general SDAT as part of his general DS hacking tool.

Still all the tools I know of tend to use the samplerate that the sound was originally encoded at (usually around 22KHz for voice). This means you are going to have to upsample it which audacity can do, it is under the tracks pulldown menu.
    You can try VGMTrans ( http://www.4shared.com/file/76520093/5a299676/VGMTrans.html ) or ndssndext ( http://www.4shared.com/file/68276816/80922...sndext_v04.html ) I guess but I suspect it will be no different for the reasons stated above.

xshinox's method works quite well for SSEQ stuff which seems to incur a few errors along the way (although I would try loopback options of soundcards and an emulator before a male-male 3.5mm cable).