Extracting directly to a microSD card

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Spectro87, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Spectro87
    OP

Spectro87 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2012
    United States
    Does extracting files directly to a microSD card cause issues? If it does, why?

2. omega59

omega59 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2007
    Canada
    I never had a problem, why would it.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Depends upon what your extraction program is doing. Many of them will first extract it to a temp file on your hard drive (or possibly into RAM) and then copy it across and thus make it like any other operation.

If the extraction program extracts it to the card and then copies again (I have seen it happen but not with anything sensible like 7zip or a partway modern winrar) then I guess it could use more write cycles than necessary.

After this we are going to have to go into really esoteric things like what if it fails or that USB (which your SD card is probably sitting on, even if it is a reader built into your computer it is likely still USB) is fairly CPU intensive and often so is extraction.

Short version. If it is what you want to do then there are no real downsides to extracting directly. Using it is a download location (especially with something like torrents), defragging it, using it like you would your normal hard drive... such things would be ill advised and we have seen plenty of people do that over the course of things but simply extracting directly to it should pose no issue worth speaking of.

Spectro87 likes this.
  4. Spectro87
    OP

Spectro87 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for the reply.

Margen67 likes this.