Hacking Question Extract the licence from SX Pro ?

Forge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only use the license-request on the website only with the key from an SX OS purchase. SX Pro does *not* come with a serial, and the serial embedded in the dongle does *not* work on the SX mini-site. It's been tried.

3DSDSXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So if your switch broke and you get a new replacement but your sx pro dongle wont work now because it was tied t your console. So if you buy a new sx licence how would you activate it using the old dongle ?

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if your switch broke and you get a new replacement but your sx pro dongle wont work now because it was tied t your console. So if you buy a new sx licence how would you activate it using the old dongle ?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the dongle would still work. You would have to purchase a new license for the new console though. According to their FAQ on their site, you can use a dongle on multiple systems if you purchase a separate license for the other systems. It would be the same as activating a license normally, but then just using the dongle to deliver the payload instead of your computer/android.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats why in a way it's a pity you can't buy a dongle without a preactivated license.

Then you'd have an option to buy both dongle and OS separately at the expense of a few extra $$ but in the knowledge that in future, if your dongle goes wrong or you lose it,
you could buy another one without having to buy another license. If you lose any of your license* files, that doesn't matter as you could regenerate both with the
payload then using the xecuter website as long as you had your key from your reseller email stashed somewhere.

For ex. SX OS, $25
SX Pro $35
Dongle only $15

Maybe I'm missing something that would undermine TX's strategy if they provided the dongle untethered but thats perhaps how I would do it.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I’d say the reason for that can be determined by the fact that the price difference between the SX standalone and the SX Pro bundle is relatively small - the dongles are so cheap to produce.

They make their money from SX itself rather than the dongle, so they would probably rather make people buy SX rather than just the dongle for a few dollars.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’d say the reason for that can be determined by the fact that the price difference between the SX standalone and the SX Pro bundle is relatively small - the dongles are so cheap to produce.

They make their money from SX itself rather than the dongle, so they would probably rather make people buy SX rather than just the dongle for a few dollars.
OK, but I'd say most people like the idea of Pro for the ease of use of the dongle, and if you lose/break your dongle, to get a new one you have to pay out for another Pro and by doing so, pay implicitly for an extra tethered license you don't even need (unless you have another switch lying around) or can even sell on.
Anyway, just debating theories really (and trying to take a break from the dramas :)
A few lost dollars isn't really going to ruin someones day.

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only use the license-request on the website only with the key from an SX OS purchase. SX Pro does *not* come with a serial, and the serial embedded in the dongle does *not* work on the SX mini-site. It's been tried.
That is incorrect I activated mine using license request file on their website from my sx pro

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think there’s just a misunderstanding there. SX Pro can can activated on the website using license-request.dat. But you can’t extract the serial from the dongle and redeem that on the website.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
This begs the question of what's actually saved on the dongle. Has anyone tried plugging it into a computer and checking?

Zytos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back up your license.dat file. You don't need the dongle inserted to verify each time, as long as your have the license.dat on your SD, you're good. If you lose that AND the dongle, you can use the license-request.dat file on the website to get a new license.dat. If you lost your dongle, license-request.dat AND license.dat file well then you kinda deserve to re-purchase it.

I've read this thread twice and I think I know the answer to the following question ("yes"), but I want to make sure:

I order SX Pro. The dongle works; I activate and obtain the license. License.dat is on my SD card. The dongle later dies. Effectively, it is now as if I just purchased an SX OS license, and I can launch the SX OS payload using another method (TegraRCMSmash, NXLoader, etc.) as long as license.dat remains on my SD card. Correct?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
From what I understand, yes. Once you have requested your license.dat, that will be your license. The licence-request.dat will be needed if you lose your license.dat, and the dongle is needed if you lose both.

Reactions: Zytos

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've read this thread twice and I think I know the answer to the following question ("yes"), but I want to make sure:

I order SX Pro. The dongle works; I activate and obtain the license. License.dat is on my SD card. The dongle later dies. Effectively, it is now as if I just purchased an SX OS license, and I can launch the SX OS payload using another method (TegraRCMSmash, NXLoader, etc.) as long as license.dat remains on my SD card. Correct?
Yes correct.
<ninja'd>

Last edited by snoofly,
Reactions: Zytos

Ransom342

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dongle just puts the key in the license request.dat once its activated it puts a license.dat file on your sd card.. Back up that file and your good.

aikon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@DBA Take a look

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 09.38.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 09.38.55.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 255

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet