Extract a theme from HBC save?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by MarcusRaven, Mar 8, 2013.

Mar 8, 2013
  1. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Is it possible to extract a Homebrew Channel theme from the save file? I've got a theme installed, but I seem to no longer have the apps folder for it.

2. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    I have not tried myself to verify as of yet, but maybe give Savegame Manager GX a go?

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    In theory, it should be possible. But I'm not sure how the HBC save file works, so I'm not sure exactly how you would do it. My first instinct would be to extract the save with something like Savegame Manager GX, so that you get the decrypted version (or you could copy it with the System Menu to the SD card and decrypt it manually, but that's more hassle). Then have a look at the file(s) and see if it's some kind of archive or something, and if so extract it and have a look.

4. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Hmm, I'll definitely give it a shot. Gotta get the Megaman Theme I promised off of my church's Wii, because I apparently didn't keep the source files. Idiot, I know, but I was erring on the side of caution, limiting what was on the Youth group's SD card to only what was absolutely necessary.

EDIT: [Farnsworth voice] Good news everyone! Extracting the Homebrew Channel save file yields three files, one of which is the theme.zip of the current theme! All I need to do is make a new icon.png, a new meta.xml, and then repack it. Thanks a lot!