triclopzx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I am looking for recommendations. I have and approximate of 50 GB of current that as of now I want to keep a backup because im going to format my computer and I need a reliable way to keep my data stored without it erasing and for future downloaded stuff.

The question is am I better of with an External or Internal Hard drive? what capacity could you suggest and what brand

Oh and BTW my computer is very very old. meaning no SATA ports but thats not a problem I can get a PCI Sata Card if needed.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say get an external hard drive if you wish to keep a backup. I just find it safer to store backups away from the computer. I would say get no less that 250GB as it shopuld store more than enough data for your needs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only 50 gigs?

Back on topic go with external here as well, I suggest an enclosure and picking your own drive to go in it. This way you are sure to get a good one and you can use it to grab stuff off old machines when the time comes.

If your machine is that old I would look at what version of USB your machine supports for doing things at USB 1.1 speeds is horrific for games and video. You can get PCI cards for USB 2.0 though.

I would avoid sata (I have started to see externalised ones), avoid firewire too (sure it is fast but it does not make enough of a difference for storage. USB3.0 might be an idea but 2.0 is enough (I am not sure if the spec has even be finalised).

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
External NETWORK drive!

Look into the Western Digital MyBook World Edition.

Comes in 4 flavors. 500gig, 750gig, 1TB, 2TB.

Here's how you install it:

Plug it into the wall. Connect an ethernet cable (provided) by plugging in one end to the unit, and the other end to your router.

That's it! Your done installing!

Now, set up File Sharing on your computer. Access the drive via a shortcut on your desktop (//mybookworld/) and you've got a hard drive that you can fill with movies, music, photos, backups, which can all be shared with EVERY computer in your house, as well as game consoles (xbox/ps3) and life will be good again!

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, an external hard drive is always useful, and you can store the backup somewhere else so if your house burns down....

either that or just put a big hard disk in a old computer and put it up in your loft running linux... that way it can be used to download crap too

triclopzx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I dont have a big budget just $150 or so. But I did check the WD Mybook I was planning on purchasing the essential Edition but why does everyone give it negative comments about WD products dying within a year or so?

I found this one on amazon is it good enough?

Amazon Mybook

As for interface I pondered at what FAST6191 said about USB 3.0 didnt even know its almost fully developed.

But then again I do have USB 3.0 and its had to be backwards compatible?

By the way my router is a Netgear WPN824 my connection is 1 MBps ( yes horrible ) thats as much as we can get here in PR so futher suggestions would be appreciated.

50 Gigs but for now
nyanya.gif

so im going external but should I go with network of other interface for storing? I just dont want it dying on me , sharing is not necessary for me but if it has it its a nice plus.

Thanks in advanced

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox +1